AuthorTopic: What's the new guy up to?  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to? - Kindling Cracker Continued
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2021, 02:32:49 PM »
I've found a solution to the blade problem. I'm gonna stick with the mild steel I think, but I'm going to run a bead with a hard facing rod on top to give it a hard edge. It's not a forever solution as with sharpening over time it will wear down to the mild steel eventually, but it should last quite a while. Got the idea off permies from another guy who just made one of these. As for getting the chunk into the shape of a blade, one of my friends suggested a mini forge of bricks, charcoal and a blow dryer. Some vids on Youtube looked neat but I'm much more comfortable with grinding, even if it takes a while. So I am grinding away. The frame is done, except for the feet. You can see them in the photo but they're not welded on just yet. Just need to do that, finish the blade, and mount it. Oh and some paint too. Then we should have a nice little splitter!
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to?
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »
Welds are looking better all the time Cam. I like the welding a harder material idea.  I never bothered charcoal forging easier to just grind.
Cheers,  NF
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to?
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »
Thanks NF. Me too I may try it one day but not this time around I don't think.
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.