AuthorTopic: Thor-Con Molten Salt Reactor Infomercial  (Read 1351 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Thor-Con Molten Salt Reactor Infomercial
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

Cam gets it.

Hope is something you do, not something you have. I think we diners do a pretty good job of that. Build the new world one garden at time. One solar installation at a time. One bike truck at a time. One new friend at a time. It's all we can do in my view, and it is all we need to do

My nominee for new quote of the decade.

I agree.  I will work on making the substitution  for the  Forum Homepage.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
Thanks, CAM!

And the rest of you can kiss my ass. 

Bye-bye.  Over and out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
Whatever.

The space of conversation is obviously closed here.
You will be hard pressed to find any other place on the inter webs where the space of conversation is more wide ope. The fact is that others have opinions too, and they don't always echo yours.

It's pretty much always been the same here, that way. I guess I come back for the same reason Eddie does, because this watering hole serves up skanky water, but there are not many places serving in this desert.
Another happy customer. Enjoy the water.

Mostly what we get around here is "We're Fucked, and there ain't nothing we can do about it."

Patently untrue. Just a sampling of posts from today will illustrate the same.
From time to time folks come around and post things and think they will proselytize the Diner Forum to see things their way. Or, otherwise, have a John the Baptist moment and are convinced that they see The Way, The Truth, and The Light. And sometimes they leave, with a great Slamming of the Door and Rattling of Glassware, because what is an exit without a tantrum? Yours is the fourth lately. And guess what? They all lurk.

What a waste of my time.

As I told you before, the Diner is nothing more or less than what the participants make it. Nothing. Frankly, I hope you stay and contribute, but if you leave, the discussion will continue, but without you. And it will be different.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
Well, anyway, I'm out of here until there are others who think what we do and say and etc. matters, and that it REALLY matters, in that we're not powerless and useless flotsam and jetsam at the end of time.

Maybe if I see some folks taking up my orientation -- that what we do matters, I'll rejoin the so-called conversation. But not before.  And I don't mean "It matters because it helps one to feel good about oneself" -- which is just more narcissistic bullshit in a narcissistic "civilization".  I want to be around folks who actually fucking give a damn and are willing to be open-minded and vulnerable when it comes to discussing these horrible conditions.

Since that's not been happening in this watering hole, I'm likely never to come round here no more.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h0JvF9vpqx8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h0JvF9vpqx8&fs=1</a>

No we are not helpless. There have been many civilization collapsed caused by black swans and perfect storms of climate change or other factors playing out. There is a dark age and there is always a remnant. The remnant survives by being LEAST vulnerable.

Check your cities population projections before deciding if you can degrow it. Check your cities regulations on gardening or keeping chickens. Check the distances people need to travel to school or work or visit people and how much they need to carry, before deciding if they even could, let alone would switch to biking, in the rain and heat as well as fine days. You mentioned living in New Mexico, one of several states competing for water from the Colorado River? An area that was once abandoned by a civilization due to climate change before. What are the long term prospects. These are the kinds of things you need to think about realistically.

You would feel much better by not waiting for anyone else to change, start by doing what you can for yourself and others might follow. Growing your own vegetables and riding a bike yourself will be of huge benefit to your own health, and offset your own energy consumption. Install  solar panels and water catchment from your own roof. 

Internet use relies on a lot of juice. Bitcoin and crypyocurrency, massive power consumption. Global supply chains causes much more pollution than local manufacturing. That's the true trend, never mind the current arms race and the amount of oil these militaries consume, though they might do plenty of depopulating. 

These are forces no school of thought can change, you can only decide how you want to respond. Build your own ark, join an intentional community, join a permaculture group, plant and water trees, or apply the Jackson principle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9NYDgbKsBE

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:01:56 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:59 PM »

Cam gets it.

Hope is something you do, not something you have. I think we diners do a pretty good job of that. Build the new world one garden at time. One solar installation at a time. One bike truck at a time. One new friend at a time. It's all we can do in my view, and it is all we need to do

RE

Thanks guys! It's weird seeing my name above the quote of the decade. I'm flattered.   :)
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »

Cam gets it.

RE

Thanks guys! It's weird seeing my name above the quote of the decade. I'm flattered.   :)
I might check out the book as well. I truly like the quote as it matches my take on life.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »

Cam gets it.

RE

I might check out the book as well. I truly like the quote as it matches my take on life.

Definitely do read it, I consider it a turning point in my journey of learning about collapse.
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 08:29:19 PM »

Cam gets it.

RE

Definitely do read it, I consider it a turning point in my journey of learning about collapse.

NF might read it, as long as he doesn't have to take 30 minutes out of his Bizzy day growing Cucumbers in his Garden.  All that Pickling to do also!  ::)

Cheers.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »
RE's last post is particularly not worthy of responding to, since he pretends to a level of certainty on these matters which he doesn't have -- any more than any of us have it.

I'm really done with this place for as long as it is a cesspool of defeatism, dommerism and despair without caring about or nurturing "hope".

This is NOT a kind place, generally. It is a brutal and ugly place on the web, more often than not -- because it is here that we are discouraged from Active Hope.

Those who choose ultimate despair, defeatism and hopelessness can kiss my lily white ass.

Thanks, CAM!

And the rest of you can kiss my ass. 

Bye-bye.  Over and out.

Moby Dickless has spoken!   ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can