AuthorTopic: Roll Up Your Sleeve  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Roll Up Your Sleeve
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:17:44 AM »
I somehow missed an email from the hospital...even though IĎd been watching for one....that told me I could get the Pfizer vaccine...I could have probably gotten it last week....but anyway, Texas announced today that theyíre vaccinating anybody over 65 now....and so I hope to get vaccinated today or tomorrow.

I have an appointment after work at the hospital....but I donít have a current hospital ID...got to get that made today, hopefully, or make a work-around somehow.

Anybody who is over 65 anywhere in the US....should be checking to see when the COVID vaccine will be available to you. We elderly folks (lol) are being prioritized....and Iíd strongly advise anybody who can get it, to just get it.  Only those who have drug allergies or a history of very serious allergies to medication should consider not getting vaccinated.

Not medical advice...just my personal opinion....do your own due diligence....but I have done mine, and my conclusion is that the risks are minuscule compared with the benefit...and that anti-vaxxers are morons.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Up Your Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
Only one problem for me, an mRNA vaccine has never been approved in the past and this one is done with no indemnity. You might not only be altered to produce covid proteins. There's always possibility to do anything else unlocked by decoding genes. More docile and less fertile are distinct possible benefits that could be taken advantage of.
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
Only one problem for me, an mRNA vaccine has never been approved in the past and this one is done with no indemnity. You might not only be altered to produce covid proteins. There's always possibility to do anything else unlocked by decoding genes. More docile and less fertile are distinct possible benefits that could be taken advantage of.

Well, I paid money to achieve infertility 30 years ago, and Iím pretty docile already too......unless somebody fucks with me.

You can worry about what if's, but if you get COVID itís very clearly a roll of the dice as to your course of illness and your outcome.

The benefit is huge...the risk is certainly greater than zero....but not much greater. I like that kind of asymmetric bet. And in my work, I expect itís just a matter of time until I am exposed......just this morning one of my assistants told me the mother of one of my patients told her they had 40 people in the house for Christmas. Thatís my patient population.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
I've researched every claim of  serious problems with vaccines I heard about.....the anti-vaxxers have a laundry list....and the only one I saw that had real merit was the problems they had with the Dengue Fever vaccine.....which definitely did kill some kids. But even that vaccine has more benefit than risk, for the at-risk populations in the tropics where people get it. You just canít give it to little kids who have had absolutely no prior exposure to the virus....

The problems with the polio virus....that has to do with the TYPE  of vaccine.....in Africa they had kids who got immunized with live virus....and the local water supply was afterward fecal contaminated with the live virus they excreted.....which killed kids who didnít get the shot.

The problems in India with HPV vaccine....the one that gets blamed on Bill Gates...the vaccine really never was proven to be at fault.....but problems came up over when some parents who had children who subsequently died after being vaccinated (no matter what the cause of death) blamed the immunizations....and the real issue was whether or not the parents had made a full informed consent...since they were tribesmen and didnít speak English....and were uneducated. I gave my kids that vaccine.....Prevent a common STD that is known to cause cancer in men and women? Hell yeah.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:58:49 PM by Eddie »

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 02:44:47 PM »
Given your age,  high case locale and work environment, that's probably the best course and you will get priority. I got swine flu in 09, also working in a clinic environment and it felt like it nearly killed me. 
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »
One neurological condition I used to see a lot, but there are few still alive today, is Post Polio Syndrome. There were a lot of people in developed countries that had polio and TB in those days. Nobody has them now, so of course vaccines do a lot more good than harm. Having said that, I don't trust pharmacos, but won't get started on that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:11:34 PM by Phil Rumpole »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
I've researched every claim of  serious problems with vaccines I heard about.....the anti-vaxxers have a laundry list....and the only one I saw that had real merit was the problems they had with the Dengue Fever vaccine.....which definitely did kill some kids. But even that vaccine has more benefit than risk, for the at-risk populations in the tropics where people get it. You just canít give it to little kids who have had absolutely no prior exposure to the virus....

The problems with the polio virus....that has to do with the TYPE  of vaccine.....in Africa they had kids who got immunized with live virus....and the local water supply was afterward fecal contaminated with the live virus they excreted.....which killed kids who didnít get the shot.

The problems in India with HPV vaccine....the one that gets blamed on Bill Gates...the vaccine really never was proven to be at fault.....but problems came up over when some parents who had children who subsequently died after being vaccinated (no matter what the cause of death) blamed the immunizations....and the real issue was whether or not the parents had made a full informed consent...since they were tribesmen and didnít speak English....and were uneducated. I gave my kids that vaccine.....Prevent a common STD that is known to cause cancer in men and women? Hell yeah.
being middle aged we won't see the vaccine til probably mid to late summer. We moved last summer and the local health teams are currently not taking on new patients. We've stayed in touch with our former health team so will get the notice through them. Nothing planned for kids yet as there has been no large scale testing done on them yet.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
I got it....the Moderna...not that I would have turned down the Pfizer...so far the only side affect is that Iím noticing an overwhelming thirst for a cold beer.

Of course, I will probably feel like shit when I get the booster in a month. Iíd be surprised if I didnít. And itís only been an hour. It might hit me later.

The shot itself is just like the hepatitis shot. Tiny injection. I didnít even feel it.

Planning on staying on my Ivermectin prophylaxis until I take round two.....Iím a belt and suspenders guy.

The COVID numbers were actually down a little when the county finally updated the dashboard after the holidays...still high, but not as high as early last week.

Offline Ashvin

• Troll
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pull Down Your Pants and Bend Over
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
Don't worry about it... the WHO is already telling us the vaccines will be completely useless and "bigger pandemics" are just around the corner!

https://summit.news/2020/12/29/who-bigger-pandemic-than-covid-is-coming/

ďI donít believe we have the evidence on any of the vaccines to be confident that itís going to prevent people from actually getting the infection and therefore being able to pass it on,Ē Swaminathan said.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
You canít know in advance things that can only be shown over time.....like the effectiveness of a vaccine. But the data looks good so far.

Bigger pandemic? No doubt that's always possible, especially with level 4 labs being run by the Chinese military and God knows who else...but weíll just have to cross one river at a time. Iím grateful for the opportunity to be immunized.

Offline Ashvin

• Troll
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
You canít know in advance things that can only be shown over time.....like the effectiveness of a vaccine. But the data looks good so far.

Bigger pandemic? No doubt that's always possible, especially with level 4 labs being run by the Chinese military and God knows who else...but weíll just have to cross one river at a time. Iím grateful for the opportunity to be immunized.

Or like the effectiveness of a lockdown in containing a pandemic. If only our national and local politicians understood that simple wisdom... (to be clear, if it somehow wasn't already, I don't take any "analysis" or "predictions" by the WHO at face value... or any value).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:27:39 PM by Ashvin »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Up Your Sleeve. ---- Update
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:37:58 AM »
All but one of my employees has now gotten the first dose of vaccine . Hopefully we will be 100% before the week is over. I am due for my second dose a week from tomorrow.

Our long-term houseguest, who works in hospice care, has decided she ďisnít readyĒ to get vaccinated.... the missus didnít take that announcement well....and invited her to move out.

I think maybe this was our friend's way of picking a fight..so that in her mind she could claim the victim card if she got asked to leave. This is the second time weíve had a long term guest in the house who outstayed a warm welcome.....we took her in when she had no place to go.....and sheís had plenty of time to figure out her situation. But people often just follow the road of least resistance.....seems like another case of being too nice for too long.....itís funny how sometimes people have to cop an attitude...but they often do....its a way of saving face.

I probably wouldnít have demanded she get the vaccine to stay....but I think itís a reasonable request for the missus to make, since our firiend has a high risk job and has nobody to even take care of her (besides us) if she were to contract COVID. Because sheís gotten by all year....and because her brother and his wife had COVID and had mild cases...I think she is kidding herself into believing her risk is lower than it is.

Community transmission is at the highest rates weíve ever had...hopefully what weíve seen the past couple of days was the New Years Eve spike....but itís new high....so we donít know until the trend changes..

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »
All but one of my employees has now gotten the first dose of vaccine . Hopefully we will be 100% before the week is over. I am due for my second dose a week from tomorrow.

Our long-term houseguest, who works in hospice care, has decided she ďisnít readyĒ to get vaccinated.... the missus didnít take that announcement well....and invited her to move out.

I think maybe this was our friend's way of picking a fight..so that in her mind she could claim the victim card if she got asked to leave. This is the second time weíve had a long term guest in the house who outstayed a warm welcome.....we took her in when she had no place to go.....and sheís had plenty of time to figure out her situation. But people often just follow the road of least resistance.....seems like another case of being too nice for too long.....itís funny how sometimes people have to cop an attitude...but they often do....its a way of saving face.

I probably wouldnít have demanded she get the vaccine to stay....but I think itís a reasonable request for the missus to make, since our firiend has a high risk job and has nobody to even take care of her (besides us) if she were to contract COVID. Because sheís gotten by all year....and because her brother and his wife had COVID and had mild cases...I think she is kidding herself into believing her risk is lower than it is.

Community transmission is at the highest rates weíve ever had...hopefully what weíve seen the past couple of days was the New Years Eve spike....but itís new high....so we donít know until the trend changes..

My philosophy staying outside my own place is to go with the flow.  The management here organized up vaccinations for everyone, although it was optiomal.  All but 2 people opted to take it, everyone else said yes, so ME TOO!  lol.  I get my 2nd dose next week also.  Ist shot didn't affect me at all, at least short term.  I was hoping it would kill me off, but no such luck.  :(

I have heard that any immunity it might confer is very short term and you might need a new vaccine every 2 months.  Have you heard this rumor?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 07:05:53 AM »
I have heard that any immunity it might confer is very short term and you might need a new vaccine every 2 months.  Have you heard this rumor?

RE

That is something that is probably more relevant to having a single dose. The first shot increases the number of b-cells that generates the antibodies however those antibody levels will decline rather rapidly. For people acquiring Covid-19 naturally it is said that antibody levels peak after three weeks and then begin to decline significantly after a month. This decline could lead to the suggestion that most people would lose immunity after two months. However most experts don't seem to suggest immunity is that shortlived and when compared to other coronavirus strains the period of immunity is longer than this. Moreover if immunity only lasted two months then we would have seen many more cases of reinfection but that doesn't appear to be the case.

What the second shot does is increase the number of b-cells substantially from your first shot. More cruically though is the number of t-cells present and these levels increases a lot from the first dose. This is significant because t-cells unlike the b-cells last in the body much longer and can be present in the blood for years. They may not make you totally immune but it is thought that if you have the t-cells present then you are likely to experience milder symptoms. In short while it is unlikely the vaccine offers lifetime immunity I do believe the immune response from two shots would be more robust than that aquired from a normal infection and since the normal infection normally results in immunity greater than two months I would expect vaccines to provide even longer standing protection. Time will tell how long this protection will be...

How effective is a single vaccine dose against Covid-19? (BBC)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 07:21:12 AM »
Both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines use the spike protein...in the dim past, vaccines developed to affect the HIV spike protein turned out to be effective....but for only a month or so. This was one reason for worry.

Weíre already out about four or five months on these....and so far theyíre working.

One takeaway is that a mRNA vaccine for HIV might work the same way as these.....and they are on it....bet your ass. You heard about it from me first. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:46:06 AM by Eddie »