AuthorTopic: Melatonin  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Melatonin
« on: January 05, 2021, 08:38:59 AM »
In addition to the Ivermectin, Paul Marikís team at East Virginia has several supplements they use both as a preventive protocol for COVID and as treatment....you can see their protocols here.

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

Most of Marikís supplements are just vitamins......they give a B-complex, Vitiamin C, Vitamin D, Queurcetin (co-factor necessary to use Vitamin C), Zinc.....and Melatonin.

Now I had heard of melatonin as a regulator of sleep (human bodies produce it and it regulates our normal circadian rhythm)...but I had never taken it.

But I decided to go for the whole Marik prophylaxis protocol, because I risk exposure every work day....itís just a matter of time and chance. Iíve been doing it now for a few weeks,

But the thing I noticed is the melatonin....they suggest starting with a fraction of a Milligram and work up to 2mg nightly. I had trouble finding a low enough dose, and so I started with 3mg....no ill effects....And....actually, although I am not an insomniac, the QUALITY of my sleep has suddenly gotten MUCH better.

Nothing to do with COVID prevention...just an accidental discovery that I wouldnít have made. I am sleeping better and dreaming like you would not believe. No matter what happens with COVID, I intend to keep taking the melatonin. It is improving the quality of my daily life.

If you go to places like Web MD, you will see a disclaimer like this.

"Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): There is no good evidence to support using melatonin for COVID-19. Follow healthy lifestyle choices and proven prevention methods instead.Ē

So I wondered why Marik uses it....It didnít take me long to find out.

"Melatonin for the treatment of sepsis: the scientific rationale

Ruben Manuel Luciano Colunga Biancatelli,1,2 Max Berrill,1,3 Yassen H. Mohammed,4 and Paul E. Marikcorresponding author1
Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Abstract

Sepsis affects 30 million people worldwide, leading to 6 million deaths every year (WHO), and despite decades of research, novel initiatives are drastically needed. According to the current literature, oxidative imbalance and mitochondrial dysfunction are common features of septic patients that can cause multiorgan failure and death. Melatonin, alongside its traditionally accepted role as the master hormonal regulator of the circadian rhythm, is a promising adjunctive drug for sepsis through its anti-inflammatory, antiapoptotic and powerful antioxidant properties. Several animal models of sepsis have demonstrated that melatonin can prevent multiorgan dysfunction and improve survival through restoring mitochondrial electron transport chain (ETC) function, inhibiting nitric oxide synthesis and reducing cytokine production. The purpose of this article is to review the current evidence for the role of melatonin in sepsis, review its pharmacokinetic profile and virtual absence of side effects. While clinical data is limited, we propose the adjunctive use of melatonin is patients with severe sepsis and septic shock.Ē

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7024751/

Now I get it.....it may work to prevent the exact kind of severe cytokine cascade that kills people who get those severe inflammatory types of COVID effects in their lungs.

When you read about the caveats, they talk about it decreasing the efficacy of blood-pressure meds......but it isnít doing that for me so far, because I check....and there are worries about people giving it to kids.....which I have no opinion on....although it is said to help autistic kids sleep. It looks to me like doctors just donít know that much.....not something Big Pharma can make money on.

Melatonin is a natural hormone made by the pineal gland.

Not medical advice....but I plan to keep taking it unless something changes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:05:42 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:08:22 AM »
At one time, melatonin was sourced from bovine pineal glands...but these days it is synthesized, and what is sold is said to be pure and completely identical to what our own pineal glands produce. FYI.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
I wanted to make a correction. After I wrote the comment above I discovered I had bought both 1 mg and 3mg melatonin pill...and Iíve actually only been taking 1mg.....not 3mg. It seems about right too, not really tempted to up it anytime soon.

Still much easier to fall asleep than what Iíve been used to for the last several years....and I think my REM sleep is better, because Iím noticing more dream activity.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:52:46 PM »
You might not need it if you turn lights down an hour before bedtime. If you don't have dimming light, turn it off and use a candle. If you're reading off a screen, or watching TV, put the brightness right down
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:20:42 PM »
I'm very interested in this. There is so much to our chemistry we have no clue about. The costs of a sterile environment, artificial light, lack of trace minerals, a diet of limited variety, food that is too cleaned. How can you harness the physiological robustness of our ancestors without throwing out the benefits of our modern world...
I know I use a blue light blocker on my screens and spend probably about half my waking hours outside. I try to cook from basics and eat much more fats and proteins then seems to be popular right now. I've lost 25 pounds in the last 18 months. I try to avoid caffeine past noon and sleep pretty well now. My partner and I are experimenting with seperate beds and the results have been amazing so far...
I'll have to read more deeply the links above.
Cheers,  NF
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 06:54:40 PM »
I'm very interested in this. There is so much to our chemistry we have no clue about. The costs of a sterile environment, artificial light, lack of trace minerals, a diet of limited variety, food that is too cleaned. How can you harness the physiological robustness of our ancestors without throwing out the benefits of our modern world...
I know I use a blue light blocker on my screens and spend probably about half my waking hours outside. I try to cook from basics and eat much more fats and proteins then seems to be popular right now. I've lost 25 pounds in the last 18 months. I try to avoid caffeine past noon and sleep pretty well now. My partner and I are experimenting with seperate beds and the results have been amazing so far...
I'll have to read more deeply the links above.
Cheers,  NF

It's a fulfilling and useful area to learn about. It sounds like we eat pretty similarly...neat. Similar caffeine habits too, though I really don't have caffeine if I don't need it. I'm actually at the point where if I eat some dark-ish chocolate at 8:30 pm it will actually keep me up well past my bedtime. Speaking of bed time I am more strict than most people about that and I think it helps me a lot. 10:45pm getting ready and 11:00 pm in bed falling asleep. Today I was more snarky and sarcastic and annoyed than usual, and for a moment I didn't know why. Then I realized I stayed up 20 minutes past my bedtime last night...it sounds crazy I know but it does affect me that much. I also have a strict no devices policy for my bedroom. Gee when I list it all out I sound like an overly uptight parent but the stuff works!

Separate beds sounds interesting. The cliche is that's only for couples who are fighting but I can see how it'd help if one or both of you moves around in your sleep.
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
You might not need it if you turn lights down an hour before bedtime. If you don't have dimming light, turn it off and use a candle. If you're reading off a screen, or watching TV, put the brightness right down

Actually scratch that, you're sleeping like a baby bec 25k national guard has been deployed.
 No need for Bruce Willis to make Diehard MMXXI Inauguration Day
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:46:36 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »

I have a partner who likes to (a) stay up late and then (b) sit in bed and work crossword puzzles.....this is an issue, because I do like darkness.

But....the thing is that I never felt like I needed a sleep aid at all. I only started to take the melatonin because itís part of the I-Mask+ COVID prophylaxis protocol.....the effect on my sleep was just something Iíve noticed and thought was worth mentioning. Iím not, generally speaking, someone who puts great faith in vitamins that donít come as part of a healthy diet, meaning pills....but I am taking them now to try to stay alive.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-mask-prophylaxis-treatment-protocol/

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/FLCCC-Protocols-Ė-A-Guide-to-the-Management-of-COVID-19.pdf

Iím not taking quite as much vitamin C as they recommend (2 gm/day) or as much melationin (6mg/day) as the Marik prophylaxis recommends....but the vitamin C I take is food based, and I think probably better absorbed than the typical mega-dose....and 6mg of melatonin seems like a huge dose to me.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:45:14 AM by Eddie »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:02:25 AM »

I have a partner who likes to (a) stay up late and then (b) sit in bed and work crossword puzzles.....this is an issue, because I do like darkness.

But....the thing is that I never felt like I needed a sleep aid at all. I only started to take the melatonin because itís part of the I-Mask+ COVID prophylaxis protocol.....the effect on my sleep was just something Iíve noticed and thought was worth mentioning. Iím not, generally speaking, someone who puts great faith in vitamins that donít come as part of a healthy diet, meaning pills....but I am taking them now to try to stay alive.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-mask-prophylaxis-treatment-protocol/

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/FLCCC-Protocols-Ė-A-Guide-to-the-Management-of-COVID-19.pdf

Iím not taking quite as much vitamin C as they recommend (2 gm/day) or as much melationin (6mg/day) as the Marik prophylaxis recommends....but the vitamin C I take is food based, and I think probably better absorbed than the typical mega-dose....and 6mg of melatonin seems like a huge dose to me.
I know for me it was not quantity of sleep but quality that was running me down. Darkness, blue light blockers on the screens has done wonders for me. There was a report about shiftworkers wearing yellow uv cancelling glasses.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19637050/
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.