AuthorTopic: You Need To Listen To Jaron Lanier  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
You Need To Listen To Jaron Lanier
« on: January 14, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »
I enjoy listening to Jaron....but if you’re short on time and want to cut the part I think has to be heard, go to about 12:50.

Jaron Lanier....he’s like Marshall McLuhan or maybe Aldous Huxley. I wish I could meet him. Who the fuck else can talk about Norbert Weiner and make it interesting?  Norbert Weiner invented cyberrnetics....Steve Jobs and I read about him in the Whole Earth Catalog....Steve got Norbert better than I did at the time.

Paraphrasing..

”So if two people want to connect on this wonderful thing we call the internet, it gets financed by this third party that is willing to pay, because he wants to collect as much data as possible  and modify the behavior of the first two, without them knowing about it or understanding what’s going on.”

“We’’ve created this society based on universal trickery and deception.”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCTlcj5vImk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BCTlcj5vImk&fs=1</a>

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ashvin

• Troll
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: You Need To Listen To Jaron Lanier
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:03:18 PM »
I enjoy listening to Jaron....but if you’re short on time and want to cut the part I think has to be heard, go to about 12:50.

Jaron Lanier....he’s like Marshall McLuhan or maybe Aldous Huxley. I wish I could meet him. Who the fuck else can talk about Norbert Weiner and make it interesting?  Norbert Weiner invented cyberrnetics....Steve Jobs and I read about him in the Whole Earth Catalog....Steve got Norbert better than I did at the time.

Paraphrasing..

”So if two people want to connect on this wonderful thing we call the internet, it gets financed by this third party that is willing to pay, because he wants to collect as much data as possible  and modify the behavior of the first two, without them knowing about it or understanding what’s going on.”

He's right, of course. Big tech (or their AI) know more about us than we do about ourselves. They study data patterns which reveal our unconscious habits of thinking.

So, that being considered, why do we even think for a second they are not using this power to, let's say, heavily influence election results which are favorable to them around the world? To shape cultural narratives which promote division and drive outrage? (please don't try to use the last one as a reason why the first one is false... I don't want to waste time responding to such logical fallacies)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »

Paraphrasing..

He's right, of course. Big tech (or their AI) know more about us than we do about ourselves. They study data patterns which reveal our unconscious habits of thinking.

So, that being considered, why do we even think for a second they are not using this power to, let's say, heavily influence election results which are favorable to them around the world? To shape cultural narratives which promote division and drive outrage? (please don't try to use the last one as a reason why the first one is false... I don't want to waste time responding to such logical fallacies)

I don’t think it's been going on that much....not for long anyway, because I don’t see enough evidence for it. It could become an issue, I’ll give you that much.

I think it has been an unexpected consequence of AI...and I think the effects of AI on he ad-based model took on a life of its own.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:01:30 PM »

Paraphrasing..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCTlcj5vImk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BCTlcj5vImk&fs=1</a>

I can target 70 million people.  At least one of them will give me the false flag I need.  I will make it happen but I won't be responsible.  I can monetize it.  I need 400 K K or Putin breaks my kneecaps.  If I had been re-elected it would have been all good.  Now I am fucked.

I had to do that since the orange turd burd can't tweet.  I will have more to say, I am only twenty minutes into Jaron's talk. 

Jaron has polished his presentation.  Regarding Twitter.  I wanted to download a video from Twitter and was having issues.  They don't make it easy.  I thought registering for an account would help so I did.  I had to give at least two interests to complete registration and I gave twitter as little info as I could.  I think one of the two was 'environment'.  Whatever.

The next thing that happens is I get notifications in my email saying people I know and know about on the web have a new tweet.  Would I like to see it.  Understand I gave Twitter almost no info but they knew about me already.  I have never logged into my account after I registered except to turn off every notification I possibly could.  Now my email is quiet.  The emails were seductive.  They almost turned me into a Twitter slave by repacking the words of people I know.

Beware the siren song.

let's say I buy this let's say I buy that this behind-the-scenes machine is churning manipulating people and it's doing all this damage in the world why should it be doing damage and not good.

Stopping the video.  I'm irritated.  Jason has set up the question twice and not answered it.  He will but I want to hit the big red button with the $ on it.  Money wants people to spend.  The money machine wants people stressed out and unhappy because what will they do?  They will spend more money.

The money machine is real.  When codes of conduct were enforced by wearing suits and performing correct cultural rituals the neural connections of the money machine ran slow.  People could in a sense keep a step ahead.  No more.  Now the neural connections of the money machine between human cells is digital.  A tsunami of control. 

Now I'll see what Jaron sez.

Back again.  I'm not hearing that Jaron is getting the big picture.  He is talking about differences in algorithms.  I'll get back to listening to talk about the trees in the forest in a minute but I have to present the big picture.

Rules in the presence of energy flow create complexity.  Humans have energy and humans communicate.  Humans communicate by rules.  Humans create complexity.  Rules change by mutation and feedback like the DNA or RNA of a virus.  The worm brain of the human cell money machine is a real thing.  It evolved to protect itself.

Now I'll see what Jaron sez.

Back again.  Ok this is really important.  Jaron is talking about BLM being taken over by the social media machine and he is right.  I am watching documentaries on Democracy to write an installment on my Blog and I'm watching a 2015 video by Lawrence Lessig a few days ago. 

Lester Lawrence Lessig III (born June 3, 1961) is an American academic, attorney, and political activist. He is the Roy L. Furman Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and the former director of the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics at Harvard University.

Lessig is talking and suddenly I hear BLACK LIVES MATTER.  I stop the video and play it again.  This video is 2015.  I heard right the first time.  It turns out Black Lives Matter has been around for years and algorithms targeted upset and angry people who were triggered by George Floyd using this slogan years after BLM became a thing.  Social media turned something noble into divisive crap.  Phony Marxists were even anointed recent creators of BLM.  Obviously not true.  Humanitarians created BLM and social media hammered it into a monster exactly like Jaron sez in this video.  Rats on a wheel.  Mice in a cage and we don't even know we are.

At the end a question wonders if the use of technology is inherently bad.

Jaron sez technology is beautiful and plays music.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:47:12 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Ashvin

• Troll
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »

Paraphrasing..

I don’t think it's been going on that much....not for long anyway, because I don’t see enough evidence for it. It could become an issue, I’ll give you that much.

I think it has been an unexpected consequence of AI...and I think the effects of AI on he ad-based model took on a life of its own.

Many other countries would disagree and have been warning about big tech influence on their elections for years.

Whether it started out as unexpected is kind of irrelevant now... they know exactly what their AI is capable of and are employing all manner of scientific experts, such as social and evolutionary psychologists, to help them take full advantage of this previously unimaginable power. They know exactly how to get people to consume the information they want them to consume and ignore the information they want them to ignore.

Of course there are "easy" ways to combat this on the individual level, like stop using their platforms or at least don't automatically go to the content it prompts you to go to, and if you do, consult other content to verify the information being provided. But in our increasingly apathetic, lazy and collectivist culture, not to mention an economy where people are struggling to make ends meet, most people simply won't put that amount of time and effort in.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »

Paraphrasing..

Apparently they mostly use their own apps anyway

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-politics-putin/putin-targets-u-s-social-media-secret-agent-leaks-and-protests-with-new-laws-idUSKBN2941AE
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave