AuthorTopic: Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome  (Read 14620 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
Eco-Anxiety: A Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Loss of Expectations for the Future, Who We Will Be within It, and Hopes for a Semblance of Normalcy Help Predict Those Most Vulnerable

The triple-threat posed by today's impending energy, climate and financial crises can steal our conception of the future, rob us of who we believe we are, and threaten our sense of normalcy. The result is an eco-anxiety that, as Richard Heinberg has pointed out, might best be defined as a pre-traumatic stress syndrome.

http://eco-anxiety.blogspot.com/2008/04/eco-anxiety-pre-traumatic-stress.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:03:02 PM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »
The result is an eco-anxiety that, as Richard Heinberg has pointed out, might best be defined as a pre-traumatic stress syndrome.
Or, being a worry-wort...

My mantra: prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect something in between.

And for me the whole point of being prepared is so you don't have to be scared.

Hmm... new Diner motto?  Don't be scared, be prepared!
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Sounds like something you could treat with medical marijuana.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
I tried medical marajuana, Eddie, but it freaks my sh*t out too much, so I've been using medical beer and wine, instead.  I guess I'm allergic.

========

I'm just glad that it's being called a "syndrome" instead of a "disorder".

I halfway (or more!) want to take "pre-traumatic stress syndrome" as something more than a clever bit of humorous verbiage.  As any google search will reveal, the phrase is definitely growing in popularity.

Thing is, it's not really all that funny. Not to me. Not most of the time.  I really do suffer from it. 

Among the worst of the symptoms is premature evacuation, which both men and women suffer from -- and it's difficult to establish which of us suffers more!

Premature evacuators spend more time than "normal" people considering where they might evacuate to (which they sometimes call "bugging out") and what they will eat and drink when they get there.

On a more serious note,  aren't those suffering from "pre-traumatic stress" experiencing real trauma in the present, which some might like to dismiss as "worrying too much about a possible future which hasn't yet arrived"? And isn't this a central -- or at least crucial -- component of the suffering involved? That is, we who function more-or-less like canaries in a coal mine [ http://www.wisegeek.org/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-canary-in-a-coal-mine.htm ] are pained by our singing and by our silence -- in a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of way. It's not a burden anyone can carry lightly.

Maybe this thread should be a kind of support group for canaries?

Canaries tend to be ahead of the curve in learning crucial information about the world we're living in. Example: the two-degree C "upper limit" target for global warming is fast becoming a relic of a bygone era. James Hansen, who helped establish this old target, is calling (with others) for a 1-degree target. We're pretty much sure to surpass that target, even if we were to immediately stop burning fossil fuels.  But, just maybe, if we treat this as the emergency it really is, we can preserve something of the world we were born into. (Hansen thinks we can.)

Sing, canaries! Sing!
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
See video here: http://www.ecosanity.org/blogsanity/compilation-con-job-part1

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Among the worst of the symptoms is premature evacuation, which both men and women suffer from -- and it's difficult to establish which of us suffers more!

Does more fiber in your diet help with that?

More seriously, I'd say that anyone who isn't worried is fucking clueless. But there aren't many places to run, and none that interest me much.

Leave? Namaste.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

Does more fiber in your diet help with that?

More seriously, I'd say that anyone who isn't worried is fucking clueless. But there aren't many places to run, and none that interest me much.

Leave? Namaste.

"Pre Traumatic Stress Sydrome" is no doubt real.  But a large part of me wants to say that labeling worry about the future anything other than worry about the future makes a mockery out of real psychological trauma.  I mean think about living in England or Germany or France during WW11?  Think of what it was like to live anywhere where that war caused innocent people to have their houses, churches, and ancient structures bombed!! 

Sure it's a new type of stress, but it's not too much stress.  The truth is that in every age, in every time, there is no shortage of shit to worry about.  The strong do something about the cause for concern.  The weak bury their heads in the sand or swallow a bunch of pills. 

Do something about it.  There is plenty to do in this world, plenty that needs doing.  Figure out how you fit in and go fuckin' do it.  Sitting around worrying about how fucked it all is is masochism. 

Having said that, I get that this is a real phenomenon.  I have kids, I worry about the future.  But I also have a body that brings me closer to it's own death everyday by simply existing.  Worry about that if you're gonna worry.  Worry about how you are born dying and then maybe you'll figure out how to live. 

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »
The result is an eco-anxiety that, as Richard Heinberg has pointed out, might best be defined as a pre-traumatic stress syndrome.
Or, being a worry-wort...

My mantra: prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect something in between.

And for me the whole point of being prepared is so you don't have to be scared.

Boy Scouts cornered the basics of this one before Heinberg ever came along to sell fascism to the tree huggers.

Hey MKing.  I believe you can receive a lot of ancient mojo by climbing a tree and communing with it.  Like a tree cat bitch. 

Fuck you

:thefinger:

And I mean that with all due respect sir.  I appreciate your presence on the Diner.

I suppose I'm a tree hugger.  I cut those fuckers down from time to time though...with a chain saw.  Fascism?  Nothin' my Winchester 30/30 model 94 can't handle with diligence. 

Send a chinaman with a fuckin' blue hat down my road in a tank and see what happens to his ass. 

But I still hug trees.

So you wanna fight about it?

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
Boy Scouts cornered the basics of this one before Heinberg ever came along to sell fascism to the tree huggers.
Hey, take away the homophobia, and there is a lot to be admired about the Boy Scouts  :emthup:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Sorry JRM but Im going to echo eddie on making up new longer names for things that have perfectly good names already. Its just stress, Period. The kind of trauma imagined is not pre if it doesnt happen. The whole "bugging out" to do or not to do worry with all its fors and againsts is mainly for the mob who believe in a definite day SHTF. Thats not happening, so the neither the pre or trauma is real. Only the stress is.

LD, cue george carlin on this thanks.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »
you got it  ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuEQixrBKCc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vuEQixrBKCc</a>