AuthorTopic: Question Everything...  (Read 20626 times)

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Question Everything...
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
An interesting take on the topic, with some good points, particularly from the perspective of one who actually does question everything....

Chapter 1.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-03-05/question-everything-believe-nothing-chapter-one-suspending-disbelief

Chapter 2.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-03-06/question-everything-believe-nothing-chapter-two-group-think-and-hive-mind
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Question Everything...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:30:08 PM »
particularly from the perspective of one who actually does question everything....

"Sadly this is the Achilles heel of the average person (we are all more or less average when it comes to self awareness, though we love to ‘believe’ we are well above that mark)"

As billy bob said in sling blade, : mhm I learned to read me some mhm
Sling Blade (10/12) Movie CLIP - Ain't Got No Boy (1996) HD

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:53:21 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:20 AM »
An interesting take on the topic, with some good points, particularly from the perspective of one who actually does question everything....

Chapter 1.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-03-05/question-everything-believe-nothing-chapter-one-suspending-disbelief

Chapter 2.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-03-06/question-everything-believe-nothing-chapter-two-group-think-and-hive-mind

Let's give the devil his due-- as someone who has mixed it up mightily with MKing in these pages, IMO he has it quite right this time.

Let me recommend that you give these links your attention.

These articles by Cognitive dissonance are SUPERB and well worth reading. They will reward the time you spend with them.

You might even backtrack to Cog's new(ish) website, twoicefloes.com. Have been posting his stuff on the DDFB, and he's an interesting mind at work.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »

Chapter 1.

Chapter 2.

You should try questioning runaway consumption on a finite planet.

WHD

Offline Bot Blogger

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »

No you don't. You are a man of ANSWERS. 'Cognitive dissonance' may be his handle and life choice, but it's your costume. Your feign. You're selling yourself and constantly pushing your bullshit. It's your pattern. You're fired.

There are people here with better questions and thoughts than you produce in 20 posts. This one you brought from cognitive dissonance should be called 'thinking 101'. Not exactly new.

You post this article and then promptly say nothing about it. An interesting take? Good points???? Which ones? Show me the points! Show me the perspective! Yet nothing. AGAIN.

But I did see you and your pattern in the article. Did anyone else???

BTW, that idiot Gail just posted up a well written article on peak oil and implications of financial collapse. Rip it apart hill billy. Pull out that banjo and give us all the foggy bottom breakdown.

Earl Scruggs And Friends - Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Let's give the devil his due-- as someone who has mixed it up mightily with MKing in these pages, IMO he has it quite right this time.

WHY? MK doesn't HAVE it right. CD does. Why should I credit MK with anything that CD says. HE DIDN'T SAY IT.

Question everything strikes me as a reasonable life philosophy as well, one which has held me in good stead over the years.

If question everything is the 'reasonable philosophy', I'll start slow. With everything YOU say.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »
Earl Scruggs And Friends - Foggy Mountain Breakdown

WHY? MK doesn't HAVE it right. CD does. Why should I credit MK with anything that CD says. HE DIDN'T SAY IT.

Hi BB, nice to see you back.

As someone who has regularly ridiculed and derided MKing as the enthusiastic servant of the extractive industries that he is, with all the earth-killing bullshit that goes with that, I decided to call him out for doing a rare positive act-- namely posting those links, which can be followed to Cog's blog-- which as I said, I find worthwhile.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Your mileage may vary; mine requires the belief that NO ONE is beyond redemption. Although some certainly cut it close.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
I read the linked articles. I just couldn't decide how to comment.

Let's see. I quit watching TV so long ago now, that I've never seen a reality show of any kind. I refuse to participate on FB, even though teacher daughter gives me major shit about it. I read everything I can find that seems interesting, and generally have no trouble seeing the biases of various writers on the net.

I studied hypnosis for two solid years, read a lot about mind control. Studied personality types to try to identify the deep motivations that make people do what they do.

I take that shit fairly seriously. I trust my clarity level.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Bot Blogger

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
I decided to call him out for doing a rare positive act-- namely posting those links, which can be followed to Cog's blog-- which as I said, I find worthwhile.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Your mileage may vary; mine requires the belief that NO ONE is beyond redemption. Although some certainly cut it close.

Hey Surly that's fine. You play good cop.  ;)

But I don't agree. He's ain't right 'cause he ain't said nothin'. And redemption is a choice made individually. You can't do it for him. Some choose to stay beyond redemption. It's as if he hadn't even read the article he posted.

It's like 'out of the box' thinkers pointing at the box like they discovered something.

Christopher Columbus, upon meeting the gracious and hospitable natives of the Caribbean, came up with the idea that they would make great slaves. They of course made shitty slaves. Because what they gave was of their free will, so they had to be exterminated.  But it didn't stop the idiot Columbus from thinking outside the box.

Outside the box you're in another box.

BTW,

You've been dropping knowledge like it's hot recently.  :icon_sunny:

Your article about suicides made me think and feel, as I lost a friend and a cousin to mental illness and depression.

The writer you mentioned in the article struck me as someone who was suffering from existential performance anxiety (Curt Cobain?). I thought his writing style fascinating. As he played with the notion that the answer to the universe could be found in words and words alone. Something that Ashvin was talking about (Biblically). And as far as language being excluded from the higher levels of consciousness goes. What of mantras? These are things that connect meditation to word sounds directly connected to higher consciousness. The 'O' in Shakespeare's plays was placed by the bard as a direct connection to the deepest intuitions and acts as a release cue for actors to bring forth the character.

It is upon us to make the connection between our linear being and our harmonic being in order to connect language to a deeper story. We are after all the most storied culture ever to have existed. We should have some idea of the stories that we tell ourselves and one another.

I think it comes down to one thing. Grounding. You can't tell which way is up if you aren't grounded. The duality of language is that it is constantly rocking back and forth. So your own stability is of the utmost importance. It's very easy to get flipped around by yourself. Expect it. Don't resent it.

If I offend you or MKing, please note I'm stomping on his box for stabilization purposes. The mileage is great.

Eddie you're a gem.  :)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
I read the linked articles. I just couldn't decide how to comment.

Let's see. I quit watching TV so long ago now, that I've never seen a reality show of any kind. I refuse to participate on FB, even though teacher daughter gives me major shit about it. I read everything I can find that seems interesting, and generally have no trouble seeing the biases of various writers on the net.

I studied hypnosis for two solid years, read a lot about mind control. Studied personality types to try to identify the deep motivations that make people do what they do.

I take that shit fairly seriously. I trust my clarity level.

The way I read this, you are already way beyond the awareness level Cog is trying to spur to awareness.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
Quote from: Bot
You've been dropping knowledge like it's hot recently. 

Your article about suicides made me think and feel, as I lost a friend and a cousin to mental illness and depression.

Thanks a lot. Means a lot that you found it useful. My default assumption is that these little missives go unread by thousands.

I just write about what is on my mind. And all these lives cut short, for no apparent reason, and the prevalence of depression and the resultant desperation, have been with me ever since my daughter's friend snuffed his own life out. Have nothing novel to contribute. But sometimes I wonder if theirs is not a response to a sick culture largely beyond redemption and consecrated to profit uber alles.

But like RE, JD Eddie and others here, I'd rather slug it out rather than quit.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »

What of mantras? These are things that connect meditation to word sounds directly connected to higher consciousness. The 'O' in Shakespeare's plays was placed by the bard as a direct connection to the deepest intuitions and acts as a release cue for actors to bring forth the character.

It is upon us to make the connection between our linear being and our harmonic being in order to connect language to a deeper story. \

That is a tool like 'Om', which frequency vibration through your sinuses and skull is similar to a cat purring at 9hz, which is not in a range found in human alpha, theta, beta or delta. That is good and not too difficult, but I maintain is stil scratching the surface and the real deal is to attenuate external stimuli, modulate your own neuronal firing frequency lower by not processing any thought or external input and allowing your breathing to find its right rythm. That can take you further lower and slower, and if you can maintain consciousness and not fall asleep (really really hard and takes much practice)... well as we keep finding we just dont have words for it.

I think King deserves his due for being an absolute ace at drilling the holes that get us the gas and oil we all use, cant deny that. Maybe it makes him an acehole. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:14:37 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
I think King deserves his due for being an absolute ace at drilling the holes that get us the gas and oil we all use, cant deny that. Maybe it makes him an acehole.
:LolLolLolLol:
 :emthup: :emthup:
:pile:

Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
A lifetime of asking questions certainly can lead to giving that impression I suppose. But learning has only taught me how little I actually know, hence my nickname and avatar around here.

Waaay back I said your MO of providing nothing but self praise implying you know something, and only asking more questions when asked what if anything you know, as you did again in this post was like socratic interrogation. Then RE started calling you socrates, thats all.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »

No you don't. You are a man of ANSWERS.

A lifetime of asking questions certainly can lead to giving that impression I suppose. But learning has only taught me how little I actually know, hence my nickname and avatar around here.

Quote from: bot blogger
This one you brought from cognitive dissonance should be called 'thinking 101'. Not exactly new.

Oh now not so fast there. Look at my avatar closely....such is the reward for daring to question. It isn't called THINKING when the mere presence of someone asking questions is to denigrate, shout down, censor, or ban.

Quote from: bot blogger
BTW, that idiot Gail just posted up a well written article on peak oil and implications of financial collapse. Rip it apart hill billy. Pull out that banjo and give us all the foggy bottom breakdown.

How about I allow you to display some of that questioning/critical thinking stuff on your own?

Gails most recent:

http://ourfiniteworld.com/2014/03/04/reasons-for-our-energy-predicament-an-overview/

Third paragraph under the "pop quiz".

Quote from: Gail at OurfiniteWorld
Direct Application of M. King Hubbert Theory is Incorrect

M. King Hubbert is known for his estimates of future oil production  (1956, 1962, 1976) based on reserve amounts. There are two things of importance to notice about his estimates:

I need go no farther. Do you know why the first sentence in the quote is incorrect, or not?

Much like Ugo, when someone doesn't even understand that 2+2=4, how in the world would you EVER expect to believe in their orbital ballistic calculations?

Wouldn't it make more sense to critique Gail under her own thread?  Some detail besides an addition metaphor would be nice too.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Quote from: Socrates
Oh now not so fast there. Look at my avatar closely....such is the reward for daring to question. It isn't called THINKING when the mere presence of someone asking questions is to denigrate, shout down, censor, or ban.

NO ONE has censored you for questioning. Diners have argued with you, to be sure. And it is not THINKING, but TROLLING when you roll out your oh-so-predicatable ad hom.

And you've never been banned. Not yet, anyhow. You provide too much amusement value for us to ban you.

Question as you will. Post valuable links to stories of merit. But as long as your 2+2=4 does not factor in the immense tax subsidies and externalized costs that the industry you serve demands for profitability, your math will never add. Oh, you'll make your FRNs, and be celebrated as some sort of high end servant to the Deep State, but your work will directly contribute to cooking the planet. But as someone who has said about the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, "they had it coming," we should expect nothing less. Somebody else's problem.

Oh, and by the way, weren't YOU the one arguing that Hubbert got it wrong? Interesting that you bitch about Gail saying the same thing. I guess you think no one can remember what you said?

Still a troll.