AuthorTopic: Proton Secure Email Club  (Read 5727 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Proton Secure Email Club
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
I got a Proton Secure Email account this month, and now Surly just got one also.  Quicker than me, looks like they are clearing their backlog.

I am recommending all Diners sign up for a FREE Proton Secure email account.  If both parties are using proton, all text and file attachments are automatically encrypted from end to end.  Top notch encryption from the physicists at CERN in Switzerland.

GPG4USB is still favored by myself and Palloy as resident on your own computer, but lots of people seem to find it hard to use.  The proton system is EZ to use and nearly as secure, least as long as you are careful about the password to your account.  The Proton system has the added advantage of automatically encrypting any File attachments you add to the mail.  So if for instance a Diner in Afghanistan captured a video of a Wedding Party being massacred by a Drone, it could be sent securely through the Proton mail server.  Not even the proton Admins can read it or view the video.

Proton automatically sends a message to your regular email account if you receive a secure email there, so you don't need to check it unless you get such a message.

Join the Diner Proton Club today!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Proton Secure Email Club
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
I got a Proton Secure Email account this month, and now Surly just got one also.  Quicker than me, looks like they are clearing their backlog.

I am recommending all Diners sign up for a FREE Proton Secure email account.  If both parties are using proton, all text and file attachments are automatically encrypted from end to end.  Top notch encryption from the physicists at CERN in Switzerland.

GPG4USB is still favored by myself and Palloy as resident on your own computer, but lots of people seem to find it hard to use.  The proton system is EZ to use and nearly as secure, least as long as you are careful about the password to your account.  The Proton system has the added advantage of automatically encrypting any File attachments you add to the mail.  So if for instance a Diner in Afghanistan captured a video of a Wedding Party being massacred by a Drone, it could be sent securely through the Proton mail server.  Not even the proton Admins can read it or view the video.

Proton automatically sends a message to your regular email account if you receive a secure email there, so you don't need to check it unless you get such a message.

RE

So that's great for today. In six months will there be a way to
unencrypt the message. It seems techy is only good for 6 mos.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

RE

So that's great for today. In six months will there be a way to
unencrypt the message. It seems techy is only good for 6 mos.

It will be quite some time before 256 bit encryption can be broken.  I doubt this occurs before the internet goes down.  If/when that day comes, you just upgrade the system to 512 bit.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
GPG4USB Tutorial: How to do your own Encryption
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:43:54 AM »
RE: GPG4USB is still favored by myself and Palloy as resident on your own computer, but lots of people seem to find it hard to use.

I have finally got around to writing up a "How to" page for using GPG4USB.

http://palloy.net/encryption
How to do End-to-End Encryption using GPG4USB

by Palloy

The problem

When you have something secret to pass on by email, like a username/password combination for some account, you cannot rely on the third party mail servers (yours and the recipient's) not to leak the information, even if your connection is encrypted with SSL/TLS, because that only encrypts the message while it is in transit to/from the servers. The mail servers handle the message in clear text.

Ed Snowden exposed that Google, Microsoft etc are forced to co-operate with NSA's snooping, and then to deny everything, under the PRISM program.

Source: Washington Post

The solution

The solution is to use end-to-end encryption, where you encrypt/decrypt the message using keys on YOUR and the RECIPIENT's computers, so the mail servers only get to handle encrypted messages.

When I first tried to get started with end-to-end encryption using Thunderbird's plug-in Enigmail, it was very confusing because although Enigmail does work in simple cases, didn't seem to be able to cope with the changes to the settings on all my existing email accounts. In the end I uninstalled it in frustration.

A simpler and better alternative to that is to use GPG4USB. This is a stand-alone application for Windows and Linux 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. It has all the functions Enigmail has, only there is not the complication of embedding the plugin in Thunderbird's already complicated interface. So, with only the additional steps of copy-pasting the message between the two applications, it will work with ANY email client. It also works nicely with any web browser reading/sending webmail, and instant messagers, or anything.

So the process goes like this:

Sending

Type your message into the GPG4USB window.

Check the checkbox for the recipient (and yourself if you want to be able to read it again later).
Click on the Encrypt button.
The contents of the GPG4USB window changes to the encrypted message.
Click on Select All, then Copy.

Go to your New Email Message window, and Paste (Ctrl-V).
Fill in the From, To and Subject fields in the usual way (these are not encrypted).
Click Send.

Receiving

Receiving encrypted messages is the reverse: From your email application, open the message.
Select All (Control+A) and Copy (Control+C) the encrypted message,
then go to GPG4USB, Paste it, make sure your checkbox is checked, and click Decrypt.
If it asks for it, enter the password that controls your keys.
The message can then be read, while the encrypted email message stays in your Inbox.

Key Management

When GPG4USB starts for the first time, it doesn't have any keys.
It will ask you if you want to have your Keys generated. Say "Yes".
It will ask for some details that will help identify the keys, and a password to control access to the keys.
Choose a strong password otherwise the whole thing is pointless.
Wait for it to do that, it can be quite slow.

There will be two keys generated - a Private Key that stays on your computer, and a Public Key which you can publish for anyone to see. At the very least, you will have to distribute your Public Key to one person, so they can send encrypted messages to you that only you can decrypt with your Private Key.

Exporting Keys

To distribute your Public Key, in GPG4USB click on Manage Keys.
Click on Export to Clipboard, then Paste it into an email and send it,
or Export to File, then attach the file to an email and send it,
or you can also upload it to a Public Key Server such as http://pgp.mit.edu/ ,
or you can upload it to your website. If you give the page the Title "your name PGP", then anyone can find it by searching for "your name" and "PGP".

Importing Keys

Similarly, you will need to have the Public Keys of all the people who you want to send encrypted messages to.
If they send you their Public Key in an email as text, copy it and in GPG4USB click on Import Key > Clipboard.
If they send you their Public Key as a file, in GPG4USB choose Import Key > File.
You can also search for people's keys on a public key server, with Import Key > Keyserver.

Downloading the GPG4USB package

GPG4USB is free and open source software, and is based on GPG software libraries.
This is what Snowden used for his encrypted communications when on the run:

screenshot from "Citizenfour"

You can download GPG4USB from http://www.gpg4usb.org/download.html,
and since we are being serious about security,
check the sha1 checksum of the downloaded .zip file matches the value on the website.

Unzip the file to a folder called "gpg4usb" in your user area (like "Documents").
In that folder there are 3 files called: "start_windows.exe", "start_linux_32bit" and "start_linux_64bit".
Launch the appropriate one for the computer you are working on in the usual way (like double-clicking it, or making shortcuts).
They are completely self-contained, requiring no software to be already on the computer.
So if you want to, you can save the folder on a USB stick, and have GPG4USB available on any computer.
(Just remember your password.)

That's it !
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:22:31 AM by RE »
The State is a body of armed men

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GPG4USB Tutorial: How to do your own Encryption
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:33 AM »
RE: GPG4USB is still favored by myself and Palloy as resident on your own computer, but lots of people seem to find it hard to use.

I have finally got around to writing up a "How to" page for using GPG4USB.

Nice work on the GPG4USB Tutorial Palloy!

I retitled your post so it would be easier to track down in a search.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Proton Secure Email Club- You are only as secure as the weakest link
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
Last night I ordered a new toy for my Homeless Internet Admin kit from Best Buy, but before doing so I had to reset the password to the account because I forgot which one of the dozen or so I used to set that account up. After the 3rd try I gave up and requested a new one, and they sent a Code to do that to my regular email account.  Once I got that code, resetting my password was a snap, and I could then order my new toy.  On that acount, I also have the CC # remembered so I don't have to type it in every time I order a new toy.

This is the second time this week I had to reset a password.  I also had to get into my Dewey Cheatham & Howe Medical Insurance account to get the pdfs of my EOBs (Estimate of Benefits) to send them off to my Lawyer.  This one was a bit better, since in order to do the password reset I had to answer one of my Security Questions before the Reset code was sent to my email, but once answered I got that easily enough also.  If you use something like the first school you attended or your mother's maiden name, this is also data mined out pretty easily, so it is only a little better than the Best Buy system.

What you can see here is that all the passwords to any accounts you make on the internet are only as good as as your original email password that you used to set the account up in the first place.  So there is no more important password and nothing more important in terms of security than your original email account you use for setting these things up.

So for myself now, I am no longer using my reverseengineer77@yahoo.com email account for the purpose of setting up internet accounts of any type.  All my future accounts will be set up with my kollapsnik@protonmail.com email account.

To make sure that one is as secure as can be, first off the Password to get in there is not like any of the others I use and is REALLY long.  I won't say how many characters because that would make it easier to crack, but trust me it is long.  It also does not contain any words found in the dictionary and it contains special characters and numbers as well.  There is no way to brute force your way through this password, not even with a Cray Supercomputer.  You are talking more possibilities here than there are stars in the universe.

Because it is so long, there is the temptation to have the password stored on your computer, but obviously then anyone who gets hold of your laptop can then get into that email account also.  So DO NOT store the password to your account on your computer!  You also want to be sure there is no keystroke recording bot nefariously planted on your computer, which is somewhat tough to do if you are not a Code Jockey, but you do the best you can here by being careful about what programs you download and periodically run virus and malware scans.  You probably can't stop the NSA from getting inside your computer, but you probably can get it secure from most hackers this way, and also secure your vendor accounts of various types.

Once again I recommend all Diners set up a Proton Mail account for the purposes of secure communications.  I also recommend further becoming familiar with GPG4USB Encryption, which Palloy wrote a Tutorial for here in FAQ.  If you do set up such an account, send me an email from it to my kollapsnik@protonmail.com account and let me know what Diner you are in the text of the mail.  It is end-to-end encrypted, so not even that information can be read by anyone but you or me.  So far I have Proton Maill addresses for Surly and Palloy.  I would like to have more Diners in the Secure Email Club.

SET UP YOUR PROTON MAIL ACCOUNT TODAY!

RE
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:27:57 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »
Last night I ordered a new toy for my Homeless Internet Admin kit from Best Buy, but before doing so I had to reset the password to the account because I forgot which one of the dozen or so I used to set that account up. After the 3rd try I gave up and requested a new one, and they sent a Code to do that to my regular email account.  //

Once again I recommend all Diners set up a Proton Mail account for the purposes of secure communications.  I also recommend further becoming familiar with GPG4USB Encryption, which Palloy wrote a Tutorial for here in FAQ.  If you do set up such an account, send me an email from it to my kollapsnik@protonmail.com account and let me know what Diner you are in the text of the mail.  It is end-to-end encrypted, so not even that information can be read by anyone but you or me.  So far I have Proton Maill addresses for Surly and Palloy.  I would like to have more Diners in the Secure Email Club.

RE

Interesting that you would post this, as I was just reading this article:

Kill the Password: A String of Characters Wonít Protect You
http://www.wired.com/2012/11/ff-mat-honan-password-hacker/
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
Last night I ordered a new toy for my Homeless Internet Admin kit from Best Buy, but before doing so I had to reset the password to the account because I forgot which one of the dozen or so I used to set that account up. After the 3rd try I gave up and requested a new one, and they sent a Code to do that to my regular email account.  //

RE

I know 0 about this stuff, but my fear is if you go this encryption route it is like making yourself a target and they can get in anyway, or come after you in other methods and start tracking you. It is like a flag saying, I'm trying to hide from you, and they say Uhmm, let's find out what this one thinks he can hide from us.   :dontknow:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »

RE

That is quite a good article on this problem, although the Headline is not entirely correct.  It remains true that the longer and more complex your character string is for your Main Password to your Primary Email Account, the harder the whole thing is to crack.  It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that this primary account is a SECURE as you can make it, both with the Password construction and with the type of mail server you use.  Your email server is the BACK DOOR to EVERYTHING.  Your Bank Account, your Credit Cards, your favorite Porn sites, the WORKS!

As of right now, as far as I can find on the net, there is no more SECURE email server than Proton.  However, you still must create a hard to brute force break character string for that password, and you must NOT EVER give that password out to anyone else or ever store it on any computer.  The keystroke recording bots are the only (and significant) flaw in this security.  To secure against them, you must pay attention to what background programs are running on your computer anytime you key in this password.  Shut down EVERYTHING ELSE in your Task Manager before keying in that password.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »

RE

I know 0 about this stuff, but my fear is if you go this encryption route it is like making yourself a target and they can get in anyway, or come after you in other methods and start tracking you. It is like a flag saying, I'm trying to hide from you, and they say Uhmm, let's find out what this one thinks he can hide from us.   :dontknow:

I understand. RE is far more into this stuff than I, but I got an account so that I could do confidential stuff if I choose to. It's not like I'm sending nuclear codes to a fooreign country.

Besides, GO, if the NSA decides you are a person of interest, they'll know more about you than Pussy Galore. I take such solace in the fact that, in terms of national security, I am quite boring.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »

RE

They are ALREADY "after you" and tracking everything you do on the net, as Palloy has detailed on numerous occassions.  This is a given to begin with.

Your job is to make it as difficult as you possibly can to crack your accounts and passwords.  It will never be 100% successful, particularly against the NSA, but you can make it damn hard to do even for them.  More importantly for most people though is to make the accounts hard to crack for the typical Hacker who wants to scarf up your CC#s and so forth and rip you off.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
I understand. RE is far more into this stuff than I, but I got an account so that I could do confidential stuff if I choose to. It's not like I'm sending nuclear codes to a fooreign country.

Besides, GO, if the NSA decides you are a person of interest, they'll know more about you than Pussy Galore. I take such solace in the fact that, in terms of national security, I am quite boring.

Yes Surly, Anyone tracking us as security threats would probably start laughing after 10 minutes.  :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:

Senior citizen keyboard warriors, sick of TV, totally harmless, doomer crazies.   :exp-grin: :exp-grin:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »

Yes Surly, Anyone tracking us as security threats would probably start laughing after 10 minutes.  :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:

Senior citizen keyboard warriors, sick of TV, totally harmless, doomer crazies.   :exp-grin: :exp-grin:

GO, you likely have little to worry about from the NSA.

You have a good deal MORE to worry about insofar as Hackers who will get inside your online trading accounts and empty them in a nano-second once they crack your passwords and email account.

RE
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:01:44 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »

You have a good deal MORe to worry about insofar as Hackers who will get inside your online trading accounts and empty them in a nano-second once they crack your passwords and email account.

RE

Does joining Proton guard against that, and what about the thousands of e-mails i have already sent and received?  :icon_scratch:

How would we know if Proton isn't set up by hackers to gain a list of people with something important to hide.

Not being critical, genuinely confused and scared of new things, you always read later that someone cracked into it.

Then there are the Russian and Chinese hackers that have already broken into IRS, all the department store and credit card outfits, it would appear they have us all numbered already with social security numbers and tax info. 

It's really crazy out there, shit, between paypal account, credit cards, purchases over the net, spam e-mails by the thousands I get every year, amazon and E-Bay, how the heck can you hide and undue all of that info that is already out there.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »

You have a good deal MORe to worry about insofar as Hackers who will get inside your online trading accounts and empty them in a nano-second once they crack your passwords and email account.

RE

Does joining Proton guard against that, and what about the thousands of e-mails i have already sent and received?  :icon_scratch:

How would we know if Proton isn't set up by hackers to gain a list of people with something important to hide.

Not being critical, genuinely confused and scared of new things, you always read later that someone cracked into it.

Then there are the Russian and Chinese hackers that have already broken into IRS, all the department store and credit card outfits, it would appear they have us all numbered already with social security numbers and tax info. 

It's really crazy out there, shit, between paypal account, credit cards, purchases over the net, spam e-mails by the thousands I get every year, amazon and E-Bay, how the heck can you hide and undue all of that info that is already out there.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

You can't "UNDO" all that currently exists on your current email server.  HOWEVER, once you shift to Proton, you can then go and change your passwords to your trading accounts, and change the email addy they are associated with to Proton.  Then, even if somebody does hack your old email account it does no good, because it is no longer associated with your trading account.

How do you know Proton is truly "Secure"?  Well, you don't really, which is why Palloy and myself like GPG4USB better, as this is totally under your control on your own computer, but you can't use that for setting up vendor accounts and so forth, just for communications between trusted parties.

HOWEVER, Proton is about as good as you can get in this regard.  It was set up by Theoretical Physicists at the CERN facility in Switzerland, and I am sure you know how security conscious the Swiss are.  Their Banking Security is legendary of course.  There are numerous Mathematicians and Code Jockeys involved here who set this thing up, and any one of them would have been able to detect a back door in the system.  They all would have had to conspire to allow a back door to the system, and I seriously doubt they would do that since they each were attempting to create the most secure system they could manage for their OWN  emails.

I am in the process of changing over many of my online accounts to my kollapsnik@protonmail.com account.  It will take some time, as I have dozens if not hundreds of different accounts on various servers.  Overall I am not all that worried about it, I already got my main bank account info secured and the numerous vendor accounts do not worry me that much.  Over time though, I will secure those as well as best I can.

RE
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:00:12 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can