AuthorTopic: DD updates log (old)  (Read 23335 times)

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
Re: DD updates log
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
Yes, that's fixed it for me, thanks.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »
Yes SMF is a fucking mess - you should see the PHP coding.  The whole task is broken down into modules, to keep the length of code relatively short (but lots of modules).  The modules intercommunicate through lots of "global definitions", so if you don't know what a global name represents, or what it is supposed to contain at any moment, with lots of users doing different things all at the same time, the coding is absolutely impenetrable, so nobody volunteers to help.  Eventually you get to a point where when a major change happens, like PHP 7, the whole thing is in danger of collapsing in a heap - death by complexity overload.

MySQL has been deprecated in PHP for 18 months, but all that means is you get lots of "deprecated function" warnings pouring out on the PHP logs, until someone switches off logging of "deprecated" warnings and carries on as normal.  Then 18 months later and suddenly its PHP 7 only, and "deprecated" turns into "gone" and everyone says "WTF? - we've got a huge code base that needs to be updated and no one can understand the code anyway." 

Programmers suffer collapse by complexity overload too - I lasted 12 years in the professional (high stress) area, which was exceptional - most only last 3 years.  Then I took off and turned into a traveler/hippie/primitivist, refusing to have a telephone for 15 years.

MySQL and PHP are everywhere throughout web servers, including Facebook and Twitter, Google's Joomla, etc.  Microsoft's ASPX is a rival to PHP, though knowing all the bugs in Windows, you can imagine what their code looks like under the covers.  And though no one talks about it, PHP actually has a thing called the Zend Engine that it relies on somehow, and nobody knows what it really is.  At the other end of the software layering is the Operating System and ultimately the Firmware Layer.  If the manufacturer puts malware in the firmware, you are fucked, so Android Operating System is wide open to being fucked with right from the start, and to be totally avoided.  Similarly the Orange Pi and all its friends, are fucked, even though the OS is Linux - if the Linux Firmware can't talk to every component of the hardware, and needs outside assistance in the form of unapproved firmware, you're fucked.

And the rest of the world carries on as if everything is alright.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »
Yes SMF is a fucking mess - you should see the PHP coding.

I'll take your word for it.

Doesn't sound like SMF will be fixed too soon though.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 12:26:50 AM »
4 Jan 2016 01:00 GMT
Updated DD to PHP to 5.6.29

07:00 DD seems to be working OK, so
Updated SUN to PHP 5.6.29
Updated SUN_WP to 4.7 OK
Updated SUN_WP-plugins OK
Updated SUN_WP-Themes OK

Report SUN problems in THIS thread please.

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
8 Jan 2017 06:40 GMT
SMF updated to 2.0.13
The brown spot problem has gone.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »
Palloy2 is the supercharged version of Palloy, with Admin privileges, to save me having to logout and login as "God" to do updates.

What's all this crap about posts being rated?  Stars all over the place.  Is this new, or am I seeing it for the first time now I am a superior being?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:19:06 PM by Palloy2 »

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 03:06:34 AM »
8 Jan 2017 06:40 GMT
SMF updated to 2.0.13
The brown spot problem has gone.

Fantastic! Thanks.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 03:12:11 AM »
Palloy2 is the supercharged version of Palloy, with Admin privileges, to save me having to logout and login as "God" to do updates.

What's all this crap about posts being rated?  Stars all over the place.  Is this new, or am I seeing it for the first time now I am a superior being?

I think those "stars" are visible only when you are in a thread. I typically read in the "recent posts" view and I do not see them in that view.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 03:58:09 AM »

May I ask for a more detailed explanation of this announcement?    Thanks

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:55 AM »
"Palloy" is an ordinary user. "Palloy2" is an Administrator user who used to be called "God".  I would swap between the 2 to do Admin stuff, but its annoying, so God renamed himself Palloy2 (quite appropriate really   :icon_sunny: ).

This is how I see your post:

I have not seen "Not Rated Yet" and "Rate this post * * * * *" before.
I suppose it could be a new feature in SMF-2.0.13.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 06:30:54 AM »
I dropped the Stars Rating Plugin for SMF in there quite a while back.

Nobody really uses it though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 07:41:15 AM »
"Palloy" is an ordinary user. "Palloy2" is an Administrator user who used to be called "God".  I would swap between the 2 to do Admin stuff, but its annoying, so God renamed himself Palloy2 (quite appropriate really   :icon_sunny: ).

This is how I see your post:

I have not seen "Not Rated Yet" and "Rate this post * * * * *" before.
I suppose it could be a new feature in SMF-2.0.13.

Thanks, but I am still confused. Allow me to be more specific please

Have you been a secret admin all along since the God designation was given you?

Are you now one of our out of the closet Censors, and has it been decided to make it public?

Or are you an admin specific to technical matters on the Diner and not a new member of the thought police? Will you be posting under two different names? One in Diner forum Chit Chat, Palloy and the other in Technical matters on the Cyber Security thread, Palloy2 where you are an admin. 

Since we are on the topic of Admins can I assume that Babbles And Pale Ryder are also regular posters who have been given admin designations under secret names to hide who they are.                         I hope you can understand why I'm curious                                                                                                                                               Thanks GO                                                                                                                         

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 07:44:20 AM »
Also in another matter, am curious as to why RE's previous announcement posted early this morning on this matter has been removed.

It was on this thread very early this morning around 4 or 5AM Beantown time. There was nothing special about it, just a two line announcement, part of it quoted in your posting that I replied to with my inquiry.

My curiosity is always aroused when a posting is removed for absolutely no discernible reason.  :icon_scratch:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
PY does yeoman Admin work on the tech end to keep the Diner running.  He doesn't do editorial work as far as I know or have seen.

Main editorial Admins are myself, Surly and Eddie.  Monsta & LD also periodically do some editorial work.

I did not notice anything I posted as having been removed.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
Have you been a secret admin all along since the God designation was given you?

Yes I suppose so.  I haven't done any forum administration though.  I moderate on CyberSecurity - I once refused permission on a post by MKing who was trying to bypass some other refusal.

Are you now one of our out of the closet Censors, and has it been decided to make it public?

No.

Or are you an admin specific to technical matters on the Diner and not a new member of the thought police?

Yes. DD and SUN.  I am also still one on NBL's new site, though not active.

Perhaps there should be a new designation of "IT Admin" for those who need to be able to perform IT administration, (updates), but not Forum administration.  I don't know if that is possible - there's lots of admin things I haven't looked into.  I should note that anyone who has CPanel credentials, (yet another set of username/password), has the power to delete the whole site or totally fuck the whole thing up, so there should be as few of them as possible, consistent with there being at least one not on the "nearly dead" list.

Will you be posting under two different names?

No, unless I discover a down-side to Palloy2.

Since we are on the topic of Admins can I assume that Babbles And Pale Ryder are also regular posters who have been given admin designations under secret names to hide who they are.   

No. Babbles was a very knowledgeable tech guy, when he was here, but he only stayed a short while.  I don't know about Pale Ryder.