God Exists and Satan Exists
1 (16.7%)
God does not Exist but Satan does
0 (0%)
God Exists but Satan does not
0 (0%)
Neither God or Satan Exists
1 (16.7%)
Determinating whether God or Satan Eists is impossible, so further discussion on the topic is a waste of time
0 (0%)
Discussion of the presence of God or Satan is worthwhile, since one or the other or both might exist
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

AuthorTopic: Fake Newz  (Read 45808 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Fake Newz
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »
In Seattle’s Past, a Harbinger of Standing Rock

Why did you post this in the Fake Newz thread? ???  :icon_scratch:

It should be in the Standing Rock thread.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »

RE

My mistake.  I deleted  it with the intention of posting it there but now I can't post anything in the Standing Rock thread.  I can't get a cursor in my edit box on that thread.  Something is up.  I thought you might have taken an issue with my use of expletives yesterday but since you ask the question that can't be the case.

Go to the Seattle Weekly for the Article.  If I can't post it maybe you can.  It is worth a read.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:14:39 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »

RE

My mistake.  I deleted  it with the intention of posting it there but now I can't post anything in the Standing Rock thread.  I can't get a cursor in my edit box on that thread.  Something is up.  I thought you might have taken an issue with my use of expletives yesterday but since you ask the question that can't be the case.

Go to the Seattle Weekly for the Article.  If I can't post it maybe you can.  It is worth a read.

I'll retrieve it from the DNF file and merge it into the Standing Rock thread.  Gimme a couple of minutes.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:57 PM »
And that news anchor you posted is certainly incapable of any 'balanced reporting' but I'm definitely OK with her bias!
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
Seattle article retrieved and now in the Standing Rock thread.  :icon_sunny:

Your friendly neighborhood Admin is on the job!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »
I just had a "authentication failure - please logout and log back in.  I went to /palloy/navbar.htm to get My-Messages up, and sent a message to myself to get the real navbar up, and I appeared to be logged in OK, with a Reply Button, so I am replying to see if its still wrong.  Now Post.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
Seems to have worked OK.  I wonder what that was. :WTF:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »

Could be we are being fucked with.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:10 PM »
Getting back to the RT article, since the web page is easily altered by the journos, they tend to put a rush article up first, and then come back with more details later.  It now looks like this:

https://www.rt.com/usa/368776-house-bill-russian-influence/
House passes intelligence bill aimed at thwarting Russia's 'influence over people & govts'
Published time: 1 Dec, 2016 05:17
Edited time: 1 Dec, 2016 16:20

The House of Representatives has passed an intelligence authorization bill containing a provision aimed at tackling what Washington claims is political interference by Russia on a global level.

The 93-page HR 6393, passed by the House in a 390-30 vote on Wednesday, calls for setting up a new, interagency panel to suppress Russia's alleged attempts to "exert covert influence over peoples and governments," the Washington Post reported.

[more]

Normally "Washington Post reported" would be a link too, but it isn't.  I can't find any article at WaPo, which is a bit odd.  Maybe WaPo put it up and took it down again, that happens a lot too.

Anyway ALL media put their SPIN on things, so everything has to be considered in context.  Where Spin turns into Propaganda is when lies creep in.  I think the only lie in all this is WaPo saying Russia interfered in the election, and they were only telling the same lie that Hillary/Congress had already told.  RT reported the election with their spin on it, Wikileaks emails and all.  Fair enough.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »

RE

Thanks for posting that.

We could be being fucked with or it could just be a glitch.  Regardless onward we march! 

Maybe some of that H.R. 6393 money could sponsor some American propaganda of equal quality?  That is some fuel to throw on the propaganda fire I can get down with!

As you mentioned;

These are basically Political sites, not Collapse sites and I think there needs to be a distinction.  For example with the Diner, while we do report on Geopolitics, this is not the main focus, it's just one of the areas we cover.  Comparable sites to the Diner might be stuff like PeakOil.com or Archdruid or Automatic Earth, but none of those really covers collapse events in the way the Diner does.These are basically Political sites, not Collapse sites and I think there needs to be a distinction.  For example with the Diner, while we do report on Geopolitics, this is not the main focus, it's just one of the areas we cover.  Comparable sites to the Diner might be stuff like PeakOil.com or Archdruid or Automatic Earth, but none of those really covers collapse events in the way the Diner does.

Yes I agree.  I am going to have software sort my expanded version of 'the list' (which is now 'my list' since I am changing it) so color and position at http://chasingthesquirrel.com/ will identify the type of site linked.  I am thinking of making a way so visitors can vote on the color and identifying type of a link menu item.  That would be some cool interaction and the worst that could happen is that a few links could get mislabeled.  Right now few people go to my site since I have neglected it after I once again became a working stiff.  I'll get some time to work my code out later this month for sure.  I was thinking about working on the code next week when I have to visit upstate New York (business trip) but I'm probably dreaming and not thinking rationally about how much free time I'll have.  The newspaper pile on my website is sorted alphabetically within each country and each country is color coded.  The colors rotate between countries to give an illusion of freshness once a day.  I'm pretty good at writing code but since I never do it for very long at a time I always have a learning curve to climb before I can get back into the swing of things.  Maybe I can do the learning curve thing next week at night in my hotel.

I expect I'll be flying right over Standing Rock!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:41:05 PM by K-Dog »

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Getting back to the RT article, since the web page is easily altered by the journos, they tend to put a rush article up first, and then come back with more details later.  It now looks like this:

https://www.rt.com/usa/368776-house-bill-russian-influence/
House passes intelligence bill aimed at thwarting Russia's 'influence over people & govts'
Published time: 1 Dec, 2016 05:17
Edited time: 1 Dec, 2016 16:20

The House of Representatives has passed an intelligence authorization bill containing a provision aimed at tackling what Washington claims is political interference by Russia on a global level.

The 93-page HR 6393, passed by the House in a 390-30 vote on Wednesday, calls for setting up a new, interagency panel to suppress Russia's alleged attempts to "exert covert influence over peoples and governments," the Washington Post reported.

[more]

Normally "Washington Post reported" would be a link too, but it isn't.  I can't find any article at WaPo, which is a bit odd.  Maybe WaPo put it up and took it down again, that happens a lot too.

Anyway ALL media put their SPIN on things, so everything has to be considered in context.  Where Spin turns into Propaganda is when lies creep in.  I think the only lie in all this is WaPo saying Russia interfered in the election, and they were only telling the same lie that Hillary/Congress had already told.  RT reported the election with their spin on it, Wikileaks emails and all.  Fair enough.

As RT reported it really was 93 pages. 

Fair enough you say! That caused me to look this up.

Who first said All is fair in love and war?  I searched and found that It traces its origin back to John Lyly's 'Euphues' (1578). The quote was "The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war. " John Lyly was a Renaissance English poet and playwright.

However when I searched the text of Euphues I could find nothing at all.

That motivated me to keep looking and I also found this, which I like:

'The cliché, "All is fair in love and war," implies that people can suspend the law or the rules in special circumstances.'

' "All is fair in love and war" - Behavior that is unpleasant or not fair is acceptable during an argument or competition.'

'ALL'S FAIR in love and war, we hear at a tender age. Though this is tempered by schoolboy concepts of fair play and never hit a man when he's down. Fair play is reasonable if you don't mean to win at any cost and the other guy doesn't mean to kill you, but all that goes by the board in any genuine confrontation. Juvenile tussles are one thing; a real fight is definitely something else. And so is real love and real hatred and anything else that's real. You don't learn to play poker by wagering matchsticks. Vae victis, or, as we say in English: Losers weepers.

"All's fair in love and war," quotes Frank Farleigh (1850, by Francis Edward Smedley, 1818 - 1864) and is the popular paraphrase of "Love and War are the same thing, and stratagems and polity are as allowable in the one as in the other." - Miguel de Cervantes (1547 - 1616), Don Quixote (1605 -1615)'

As a statement of principle "All is fair in love and war" is offensive.  As a statement of how things really are; it is a correct observation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:38:57 PM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »

RE

Thanks for posting that.

We could be being fucked with or it could just be a glitch.  Regardless onward we march! 

This latest version of SMF seems to have a lot of glitches.  It's not real stable overall.  Hopefully next version will be better.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

Yes I agree.  I am going to have software sort my expanded version of 'the list' (which is now 'my list' since I am changing it) so color and position at http://chasingthesquirrel.com/ will identify the type of site linked.  I am thinking of making a way so visitors can vote on the color and identifying type of a link menu item.  That would be some cool interaction and the worst that could happen is that a few links could get mislabeled.  Right now few people go to my site since I have neglected it after I once again became a working stiff.  I'll get some time to work my code out later this month for sure.  I was thinking about working on the code next week when I have to visit upstate New York (business trip) but I'm probably dreaming and not thinking rationally about how much free time I'll have.  The newspaper pile on my website is sorted alphabetically within each country and each country is color coded.  The colors rotate between countries to give an illusion of freshness once a day.  I'm pretty good at writing code but since I never do it for very long at a time I always have a learning curve to climb before I can get back into the swing of things.  Maybe I can do the learning curve thing next week at night in my hotel.

I would like to see it Tabularized and Categorized, so for each site it is given a category and sub-categories you can drill down.  I don't write code though, so not so sure how hard that would be to accomplish.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 11:15:38 PM »
I definitely can't do anything at the Standing Rock thread.  There are parts of the page I can't select with my mouse but the strange thing is parts of the page I can select.  The edit box is one of them.  I am going to try and use a different machine before I post this and see what happens.......

I posted testing one two three and everything worked fine from the other machine.  However when I first followed the link from our index page to the Standing Rock thread there a screen full of code suddenly appeared and then vanished on that machine.  I have never seen that happen before and I have used that machine plenty at the diner.  Whatever is blocking me is target specific.  Targeted gliches?  I think not but I'll loose no sleep over it.

As browser code is platform agnostic I might have a man in the middle back again.  Men in the middle are not completely invisible and they affect how fast pages respond and load.  Since I have attracted attention in the past I know about this.  That flash of code might have revealed an intruder.

Or not.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:33:04 PM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ghost in the Machine
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
I definitely can't do anything at the Standing Rock thread.  There are parts of the page I can't select with my mouse but the strange thing is parts of the page I can't select.  The edit box is one of them.  I am going to try and use a different machine before I post this and see what happens.......

I posted testing one two three and everything worked fine from the other machine.  However when I first followed the link from our index page to the Standing Rock thread there a screen full of code suddenly appeared and then vanished on that machine.  I have never seen that happen before and I have used that machine plenty at the diner.  Whatever is blocking me is target specific.  Targeted gliches?  I think not but I'll loose no sleep over it.

As browser code is platform agnostic I might have a man in the middle back again.  Men in the middle are not completely invisible and they affect how fast pages respond and load.  Since I have attracted attention in the past I know about this.  That flash of code might have revealed an intruder.

Or not.

RE
Save As Many As You Can