AuthorTopic: Eddie's Excellent Amazon Adventure  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Eddie's Excellent Amazon Adventure
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
My wife and daughter took this trip first, and then a year or two later we all went (other than our eldest, who was busy with school at the time). It was organized by an interesting lady who ran a summer camp for gifted kids, that my (financially) gifted kids all attended over the years.

Now my eldest will probably inherit this summer camp, if she can keep it afloat. She started as a camper at age five, worked up to counselor, drove the bus, then became a teacher. She's going on thirty years. My son has also taught there.

Anyway, this lady, Terry, she knows how to go local better than most.

We flew to Lima, and then to Iquitos, a city of half a million with no roads in or out, except the Amazon. Iquitos alone is worth the trip.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/08/iquitos-worlds-largest-city-that-cannot.html

From there it's a couple of hours up river to the general area where the eco-lodges we visited were, four of them in all.

This is the jungle hotel where they had the Capybara. Off-grid, needless to say. They had a canopy walk nearby this one. The building in the right foreground is just a roof over a deck with a dozen or so hammocks to lie in during the hot part of the afternoon when nobody feels like moving. The photo was taken from a boat out front. All traffic is by boat only, and you can get so lost, so easy. The term river is misleading.

The Canopy Walk

The employees clear the snakes from the canopy walk every morning, first thing.

Another of the hotels.

They do a lot of ayahuasca tourism in this area, something I didn't know, at the time.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.