PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Lifetime of a Modeler

AuthorTopic: Lifetime of a Modeler  (Read 3647 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: feelings
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »
I'm currently designing my second professional permaculture design!  Like, for money!

Seriously RE, for as much shit as you dish out, and warn people of having to put up with...

Eddie loves you man, just, not every idea you have is going to happen.  Keep pitchin' the ideas, and maybe one day you'll pitch one that will stick.  If you don't pitch the ideas than nothing will ever stick.  Besides, you know you enjoyed the time you spent modeling your trolling motor hydroelectric dam.   ::)

Have a drink of Glenlivet and a smoke or two and get over it.

I'm a Sensitive Guy when it comes to Modeling.  It's a lifelong passion.  My Feewings are easily Butt-hurt.  :'(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wU0Pp2n6ooE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wU0Pp2n6ooE</a>

No ideas on inventions will ever stick to Eddie.  He's the Teflon Don in this area.  Waste of time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lifetime of a Modeler
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »
OK, I can't help myself.   ::)

It's true a Suspension Bridge is not appropriate for this application, although it would be VERY COOL!  :icon_sunny:

But the stream is just not that wide and the terrain is overall pretty level, so why bother with that?  A small trestle bridge will do the trick!

Trestle Bridge
Trestle Bridge

I estimate the cost of building the ramps @ around $10K, for renting a back hoe and front end loader and buying gravel.

I estimate the cost of the trestle another $10K in steel pipe.

I estimate the cost of the road bed on the bridge structure over the creek @ $5K.

The bridge is 8' over the average water level and the length is 100', nowhere near the "1/4 Mile" Eddie said would be necessary.  total cost comes in at $25K, call it $30K including demolition with dynamite of the old bridge.  Nowhere NEAR his estimate of $500K.

If you wanted to spend a little extra to be Decorative, you could do it as a Covered Bridge.  Basically the cost of building a small garage there for this size of bridge.  Call it another $20K for that.

I will NOT discuss this concept with Eddie! :P

RE
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:38:36 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 05:49:20 AM »
OK, I can't help myself.   ::)

It's true a Suspension Bridge is not appropriate for this application, although it would be VERY COOL!  :icon_sunny:

But the stream is just not that wide and the terrain is overall pretty level, so why bother with that?  A small trestle bridge will do the trick!

Trestle Bridge
Trestle Bridge

I estimate the cost of building the ramps @ around $10K, for renting a back hoe and front end loader and buying gravel.

I estimate the cost of the trestle another $10K in steel pipe.

I estimate the cost of the road bed on the bridge structure over the creek @ $5K.

The bridge is 8' over the average water level and the length is 100', nowhere near the "1/4 Mile" Eddie said would be necessary.  total cost comes in at $25K, call it $30K including demolition with dynamite of the old bridge.  Nowhere NEAR his estimate of $500K.

If you wanted to spend a little extra to be Decorative, you could do it as a Covered Bridge.  Basically the cost of building a small garage there for this size of bridge.  Call it another $20K for that.

I will NOT discuss this concept with Eddie! :P

RE

Update/Improvement on the Trestle Bridge.

If you do need to add support pillars,  it's better to put them BETWEEN the points of attachment of the Trestle to the road bed rather than at the same spot.  This will reduce unsupported lengths to just 4'.  Supporting a full size 1 Ton Pickup with a bed full of pig feed would be no issue.

Trestle Bridge 3
Trestle Bridge 3

Further improvements coming.  I will NOT discuss these improvements with Eddie. :P

RE
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:52:53 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Farmer McGregor

• Bussing Staff
  • Microfarmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Here's a Trebuchet launching a Car, a Piano and an Incendiary Drum.  :icon_sunny:
RE
That's not a piano, it's a pump organ.
Look at the pedals and keyboard.
For years we have let ourselves believe that as long as we have money we will have food. This is a mistake. The government will bring forth no food by providing hundreds of billions of dollars to the agribusiness industry.  --Wendell Berry after the 2008 crash