AuthorTopic: Global Collapse Issues  (Read 3684 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
OK!  :icon_sunny:

For those of you Diners following the Surly Newz thread, you know we have been experimenting with the paper.li automated Newz Aggregation site to enhance our Newz Page on the Blog.

Surly bought a Premium Account for $9/month, and I may buy one also. You need this if you are going to embed directly on a Diner Blog Page.  BUT...you don't REALLY need this, at least most of you don't.

You can set up a FREE account on paper.li and make as many of these pages as you want to, then all you need to do is link to them, which is what I did.

I have created 3 additional pages so far:

Collapse Issues

Sustainability

The Potfolio

If you scroll down past Surly's widget on the New Diner Newz page on the blog (which puts the page straight up on the Diner), you will see the links to these paper.li sites, and a new window will open with YOUR selected material from around the web on the topics of your choice.

Pick your own topic of interest and Customize the Newz Aggregation by the paper.li bots to your own desires!  If you make one of these, Iwill add it to the list of "More Topical Collapse Headlines on the Diner Newz Page.  This does't slow the load at all,because it's just links and all the content is housed offsite.

The only downside I have run into so far is that the paper.li site itself is a fairly slow load.  However, currently on my computer I am getting a full loading of the Newz Page in about 15 seconds, which isn't too bad, and most of that is because of all the widgets I dropped on the Sidebar over the years.

You can focus on interest areas of your own choice in constructing these Newz Aggregation pages.  Are you interested in Renewable Energy (AG)?  Have the bots hunt down renewable articles for you!  Are you interested in Philosophy? (Ka)  Have the bots search down Plato, Socrates, Barfield and Coleridge for you!  Whatevah! You can choose multiple categories and you can also manually add articles of interest you find as well on the FREE service!  Once you set it up, it's "Set it and Forget it!"  ;D The Bots do all the work after that!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-LGw9rlgZg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i-LGw9rlgZg</a>

Make your own Newz Aggregation site today and I will add it to the Blog Newz page.  You will be credited automically by your account on Paper.li as having submitted the link.

Note:  I only created the Potfolio aggregation to demonstrate to Eddie how it works.  He needs to create a proper one, this one is really rudimentary  Took me about a minute.  To do a really good set of selections, maybe it takes a hour.  I will delete it if he makes a better one.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:17:33 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! Diner User Defined Automated Newz Aggregation Sites! FOR FREE!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »
Bot search for Philosophy

Plato made it in here.  So far, no Coleridge with this setup.  :(  That could take some tweaking.

Another 1 minute job of bot arrangement. This software is GREAT!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:19:40 AM »
Bot search for Philosophy

Plato made it in here.  So far, no Coleridge with this setup.  :(  That could take some tweaking.

Another 1 minute job of bot arrangement. This software is GREAT!  :icon_sunny:

RE

That's because Coleridge was a fucking POET.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »
I added the new Diner Global Collapse Issues link to the Newz Listing on the Forum Homepage.

I will be reconfiguring the ordering and breakup of all the Newz Channels to make the page a little cleaner, but it will take some time.

I did discover how to use paper.li to drive traffic to the Diner without paying their premium price, which I will detail in another post  in the future.  I want to experiment more before I write that post.

I will likely buy premium for Global Collapse Issues.  I may also buy a premium package for the SUN website.

Best I can do since I have no support from other Admins for creating a new website for collapse.global.  :(

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
I added the new Diner Global Collapse Issues link to the Newz Listing on the Forum Homepage.

I will be reconfiguring the ordering and breakup of all the Newz Channels to make the page a little cleaner, but it will take some time.

I did discover how to use paper.li to drive traffic to the Diner without paying their premium price, which I will detail in another post  in the future.  I want to experiment more before I write that post.

I will likely buy premium for Global Collapse Issues.  I may also buy a premium package for the SUN website.

Best I can do since I have no support from other Admins for creating a new website for collapse.global.  :(

RE

I do not think you were statement as written is either true or fair.

You asked the admins about the utility of creating a new website with more serious tone. The responses you Received or is it any effort should go to improving and streamlining the current site, rather than standing up a new effort. Some other comments caution you not to overextend yourself, because it would be largely you doing this. That's the feedback you received. Hardly would  I characterize that as "lack of support."

I would be interested in knowing how to add back links to the diner on my Pages.  Whenever you quit pouting.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Focused Newz Aggregations
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
We are now at 6 sites aggregating Collapse Newz on a variety of topics.  Here is the current list:

Sustaining Universal Needs   Global Collapse Newz   Prepping for Collapse
  The Potfolio Global Collapse Issues Philosophy of Collapse  

If you create an aggregation focused to your interests and are a Diner in good standing, a link to your Newzpaper will be included on the Diner New Page, also accessible from the collapse.global URL.

Setting up these sites is FREE unless you want bells and whistles to embed in your website or to use in social media promotion as traffic drivers.

RE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:54:25 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
I would be interested in knowing how to add back links to the diner on my Pages.  Whenever you quit pouting.

Here's what you do.

The site self composes from the bots each day.  Once it comes up, you manually add links from the archives of Diner articles, you pick what you want to add.  I have gone back to the very first articles on the Diner to start with here on Global Collapse Issues aggregation.

If you add 3 of them manually, this pushes the first one to the top of the list in the right hand column and is visible as soon as the page loads (slowly, paper.li is even slower load than the Diner!)

Now you have 3 Diner links in that issue.  They disappear the next day, each day you want to plug some Diner material, you need to spend about 10 minutes manually adding some Diner articles from the archives.

I also then go over to Diner YouTube and add a couple of Vids from the archives there.  Another 5 minutes.

Then I have a page composed with lots of Diner links, and the next day I go and publish that page out of the archives on r/collapse. I skirt the rules of self plugging my blog this way. lol.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
You asked the admins about the utility of creating a new website with more serious tone. The responses you Received or is it any effort should go to improving and streamlining the current site, rather than standing up a new effort.

On the issue of cleaning up the Diner itself, there are a few reasons I don't agree with that idea.

1-  It doesn't do the Rebranding I think we need to be taken more "seriously".

2- As you know, I HATE cleaning up, and that is as true in Cyberspace as it is in my digs!  It's much easier to start over with a clean slate in a new apartment than to clean up the old one.

3-  I am  Hoarder as you also know, and I LIKE all the widgets I found and dropped on the sidebar over the years!  I like that Lake Mead watch, and I like all the rss feeds from other commentariats also!  It also does not slow down my page load all that much, I still get a full load of the Diner Homepage in around 15 seconds.

4- All the time spent in doing cleanup is time taken away from designing a NEW site which meets all the desires/requirements of the various Admins.  The Diner still works just fine, so why mess with that?  Build a new site to supplement it.  Once built, it's not all that much more work to maintain it, and then we have not one but 2 sites runing on the net to Save As Many As We Can.  One for the Gonzo Audience, the other for the Serious People and Academic types.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Latest Diner Newz Page: Cyber Security
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
You asked the admins about the utility of creating a new website with more serious tone. The responses you Received or is it any effort should go to improving and streamlining the current site, rather than standing up a new effort.

On the issue of cleaning up the Diner itself, there are a few reasons I don't agree with that idea.

1-  It doesn't do the Rebranding I think we need to be taken more "seriously".

2- As you know, I HATE cleaning up, and that is as true in Cyberspace as it is in my digs!  It's much easier to start over with a clean slate in a new apartment than to clean up the old one.

3-  I am  Hoarder as you also know, and I LIKE all the widgets I found and dropped on the sidebar over the years!  I like that Lake Mead watch, and I like all the rss feeds from other commentariats also!  It also does not slow down my page load all that much, I still get a full load of the Diner Homepage in around 15 seconds.

4- All the time spent in doing cleanup is time taken away from designing a NEW site which meets all the desires/requirements of the various Admins.  The Diner still works just fine, so why mess with that?  Build a new site to supplement it.  Once built, it's not all that much more work to maintain it, and then we have not one but 2 sites runing on the net to Save As Many As We Can.  One for the Gonzo Audience, the other for the Serious People and Academic types.

RE

I just timed the Diner Blog page load myself (and I have blocks against all sorts of useless nonsense already) - 42 seconds. 
15 seconds is absolutely abysmal.
It should be 2 seconds at most.

For a more formal test, try
http://www.webpagetest.org
result : 18.143 seconds  220 requests.
It is the 220 requests that is killing it.

https://www.maxcdn.com/one/visual-glossary/page-load-time/
Google: The search giant found that a half second increase in page load time (from 0.4 to 0.9s) caused a 20% drop in traffic and revenue.
Financial Times: This digital news publisher carried out research to try and understand the impact of speed on user engagement and revenue. They found that a 1 second delay in page load time led to a 4.9% drop in the number of articles read, while a 3 second delay had a 7.2% drop. Also, the slower website had lower subscription renewal rates.
GQ Magazine: In just one month after reducing page load time from 7 to 1.5 seconds, the number of unique visitors increased from 6 million to 11 million. In addition, the median time spent on the website rose from 5.9 to 7.8 minutes, resulting in a 108% increase in ad interaction rate.

The simplest way to get more readers is to cut the crap : images that are superfluous, the SoundCloud players, the ResolverMaps, the Facebook buttons, etc.  Having a link to "Lake Mead Watch" is OK, but not a picture of Lake Mead and a chart of the data, which is too small to read anyway.  Get it?
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »
Having a link to "Lake Mead Watch" is OK, but not a picture of Lake Mead and a chart of the data, which is too small to read anyway.  Get it?

Sure I get it.  I'm not stupid you know.  That's why we set up a new site without stuff like that on the page!  :icon_sunny:  However, you're not going to get me to throw out stuff I currently have up.  That would be like asking me to throw out all my old glass juice bottles or my old laptops.  I just can't do that.

The Diner Homepage is like a treasured artwork built over the years to me.  To peel away all the graphics and other stuff would be like desecrating a work of art.  There is no reason to do that when we can just as easily build an entirely new site from scratch, and do a rebranding at the same time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
The Diner Homepage is like a treasured artwork built over the years to me.

I hardly ever go there - it loads too slowly, and the comments are few and far between.  I spend almost all my time in the Forum, and only a few of the boards even then.

I would very much like an alternative style to "Gonzo". "Serious" sounds good - it is a very serious subject after all.  But mostly I'm looking for a serious discussion about the article, without stupid comments, foul language, ad hominems, video jokes, smilies, and generally wandering off topic - but I suppose I'm as much to blame as anyone else. 
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36:05 AM »

I hardly ever go there - it loads too slowly, and the comments are few and far between.  I spend almost all my time in the Forum, and only a few of the boards even then.

I would very much like an alternative style to "Gonzo". "Serious" sounds good - it is a very serious subject after all.  But mostly I'm looking for a serious discussion about the article, without stupid comments, foul language, ad hominems, video jokes, smilies, and generally wandering off topic - but I suppose I'm as much to blame as anyone else.

You just identified ANOTHER reason WHY we need a NEW site and NEW BRAND Name!  "Doomstead Diner" is Gonzo right in the Title!  It will ALWAYS be Gonzo, because I am Gonzo. COLLAPSE.GLOBAL is a COLLABORATION AND CAN BE "serious".  But not until it exists.

RE
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:40:06 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »

FWIW, which ain't much, if this were a company as opposed to an enterprise wholly owned by you, and this were a Board of Directors, you'd have a fight on your hands.

The Diner home page is loaded with kludge, largely meaningless to anyone but you. In this way, I tend to agree with Palloy. My load times are much spiffier than his, but then I'm not halfway around the world. So your Board would (or might) advise you to clean it up. But if it is, to you, a "work of art," then we've established that this is a hobby, rather than a communication tool that keeps up with the way people use the web.

Working in the advertising business, it's my job to adapt the products of my work group to a landscape that changes ever single fucking month. My biz is radically different from what it was two years ago, let alone five years.

You might find this interesting. Home broadband is up but peaking; younger users are increasingly smartphone dependent.
http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/internet-broadband/

If it were me, I would redesign the Diner for nimbleness and mobile optimization. That would be akin to dumping the cargo from a sailing ship in a storm. It's this simple: if it takes more than 6-10 seconds to load, your visitor moves on, what they call, "page abandonment."

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/

This is about website "conversion," or e-commerce, but the observations about viewer behavior are pretty good:

Ultimately, it's your decision as to whether you want to reach people where they are ("Save as Many As You Can), or maintain a Museum of Gonzo. It really is up to you.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Ultimately, it's your decision as to whether you want to reach people where they are ("Save as Many As You Can), or maintain a Museum of Gonzo. It really is up to you.

No, it's up to you and the rest of the board.  I already said I want a faster site that reaches more people.  That's why we need to set up a new site on a clean slate at the collapse.global url.  The rest of the board is standing in the way of this improvement.

RE
Save As Many As You Can