PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Which Encyclopedia Should I Save?

AuthorTopic: Which Encyclopedia Should I Save?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline pansceptic

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Which Encyclopedia Should I Save?
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
On some previous thread on the diner some of us older members waxed nostalgic about many happy hours spent browsing (oops, I meant surfing :) ) a set of encyclopedias, and how the demise of the grid and so widespread electronic media would result in much loss of knowledge due to loss of paper encyclopedias.  Which leads to my question:

The local School Board is about to demolish an old High School under my purview; wandering it today I noted that in the Library were several complete sets of Old School encyclopedias (dated 1980s & 1990s; not too obsolete) ABANDONED as anticipated.  There were World Book and Collier's and Americana and The New Something-or-Other and several others I don't remember.  I have to admit a bias for World Book, as that is the one my parents bought for me as a young lad.  Considering that saving even one set is a considerable material burden, I am soliciting opinions on which of these I should save.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Which Encyclopedia Should I Save?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
On some previous thread on the diner some of us older members waxed nostalgic about many happy hours spent browsing (oops, I meant surfing :) ) a set of encyclopedias, and how the demise of the grid and so widespread electronic media would result in much loss of knowledge due to loss of paper encyclopedias.  Which leads to my question:

The local School Board is about to demolish an old High School under my purview; wandering it today I noted that in the Library were several complete sets of Old School encyclopedias (dated 1980s & 1990s; not too obsolete) ABANDONED as anticipated.  There were World Book and Collier's and Americana and The New Something-or-Other and several others I don't remember.  I have to admit a bias for World Book, as that is the one my parents bought for me as a young lad.  Considering that saving even one set is a considerable material burden, I am soliciting opinions on which of these I should save.

Not sure which set is preferable, after the Brittanica, which you did not list...

but the priority is, clearly...

...wait for it...

"SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN."
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

Most of us got used to one set, or two at most;  (Americana in my case, and an almost called "Book of Knowledge"), and stuck with it/them.  Few know enough of all of them to give a considered judgement

You are doing the saving, so primarily you should please yourself. 

If you have prospective users in mind, (children, nephews, tribal young etc) and they are old enough to have an opinion, you also might consider their preferences, if possible. 

"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
As I recall, World Book had the best Graphics.

I'll save the rest of my commentary until after I publish The Burning of the Great Library at Alexandria.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline pansceptic

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Surly1, LOL!  No, there was no Brittanica; probably the Librarian snagged it when he left  :-[

Snowlepard, now that you mention it, I think "Book of Knowledge" was one of them.  I don't have an end user in mind, this is just an opportunity to, as Surly1 put it, Save As Many As I Can.  Maybe I'll box them all up and see if I can get my local Thrift Store to take the sets that I don't.

RE, yes to World Book graphics, I remember after all these years the series of transparent overlays of the human body; as each page was turned, a deeper layer of the torso was revealed.  Very nice indeed  :emthup:

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
I grew up with Collier's so that's mostly all I know.  For giggles, I googled "Collier's" and Wiki mentions a Kister's Comparison that you may want to look at because it's results kinda break out the Big Three into different strengths/weaknesses.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:10 AM »
While not an encyclopedia, may I suggest diner's consider a set of Harvard  Classics on their which to save list as well.

I have saved both for the grandchildren, and have been unable to decide which is the more important of the two, Britannica or The Harvard Classics.

E-Bay is an excellent place to begin shopping for either, it is amazing how reasonably priced the printed word has become.

Would just like to point out that the richly embossed leather volumes, in a beautiful wooden bookcase, can make for a wonderful, attractive furnishing in your home, and a way to point out to the kids that they are something very special and precious.
51A1P5KAgmL SL500 AA300
51A1P5KAgmL SL500 AA300

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 04:01:09 AM »
Indeed. Might I also suggest a set of The Great Books, assembled by Mortimer Adler?

I procured mine via eBay, as you suggest. Creating my own little Library of Alexandria for my daughter for after the grid goes out and the google is a myth told around a campfire.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:19:19 AM »
Based on my article today, I suggests scrapping the Encyclopedias and SAVING the Boy Scout Handbook and any Wild Edible Plants Manuals you can find.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »
Based on my article today, I suggests scrapping the Encyclopedias and SAVING the Boy Scout Handbook and any Wild Edible Plants Manuals you can find.

RE

The Godfather steps in and delivers a reality slap...or as I like to say, RE is “Keeping it Real”.

And if this was a ZH thread, no doubt RE's comment would be followed with a barrage of “Scout Book Bitchez” comments.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:04:53 AM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »

RE

Save them all.

...wait for it...

Save As Many As You Can.